Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why can I not purchase points for A-list preferred?

justinb
Explorer C

Just got off a call with "executive" customer service and it turns out I will not make status this year... I am short by 380 points!   Why can't I just purchase the points?  Transfer points from a partner?  Just give me the points for the countless times my flight was delayed or canceled?  This is a poor policy and makes for unhappy customers.  I will no longer recomend southwest.  

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Why can I not purchase points for A-list preferred?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Why?

Because the rules clearly state that you must EARN A List  preferred by actually flying.

If it's that important too you, book a wanna get away somewhere before the end of the year, and viola, you get what you want.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Posts like this crack me up. You are 380 points away from A-List Preferred, which means you have earned 74,620 points from previous flights this year. This means you must have flown a fair number of one way flights this year (but less than 50, as 50 will get you to Preferred status).  Let's say you flew 40, which is the equivalent to 20 round trips. All that flying with Southwest in one calendar year and you're going to give it up and "not recommend Southwest" because you are a few points shy of A-List Preferred? You already made A-List, and truth be told, very few people make it to any of these special statuses. I never have. I've looked at the differences between A-List and A-List Preferred, and honestly, there isn't too much of a difference aside from a higher earning bonus and free wi-fi.

Unless you book another flight ... there's always next year! 

--Jessica 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

All that flying with Southwest in one calendar year and you're going to give it up and "not recommend Southwest" because you are a few points shy of A-List Preferred? You already made A-List, and truth be told, very few people make it to any of these special statuses. I never have. I've looked at the differences between A-List and A-List Preferred, and honestly, there isn't too much of a difference aside from a higher earning bonus and free wi-fi.

Unless you book another flight ... there's always next year! 

They may actually offer you a late promo, check out your inbox and spam folder to see if you got a points qualifying purchase offer, I've received these before for A-list, not sure if they send them for A-list preferrerd.

Anyway - I agree with @jksobonya when I was in a similar position once (not quite that close) I opted not to do it - when i travel for work I can reimburse the wifi anyway so it isn't out of pocket, so really it is just the earning bonus.

Now A-list or not A-list - make a points run for sure. That's a huge difference.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bsmith
Explorer C

So are you saying I still get points if I buy a wanna get away and not show up for the flight?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bsmith wrote:

So are you saying I still get points if I buy a wanna get away and not show up for the flight?

No. You must actually fly flights to earn RR points.

Plus, if you no show, you lose the value of your ticket.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

For 380 points, I would find a way.  Rules are rules.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Lindsey
Adventurer A

When it comes to status, Companion Pass is the only one you can buy your way into. Reason being, Alist and Alist Preferred are perks exactly because not many people have them (relatively speaking). If AList and Alist Preferred could be purchased, they would very quickly lose their value. 

Im not sure where you live, but one thing lots and lots of people do is find a short-haul - or several of them - to nearby cities and do a day trip of hopping around so they can earn those last few flights. @bec102896 is master at working extra legs into a trip. 

You can do it - don’t throw the towel in when you’re so close now. 

@Lindsey
Former Employee, Fan for Life.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

While you can't "purchase" A-List, Southwest has offered in the past the ability to buy a limited amount of Tier Qualifying Points, to help "top off" A-List qualification, near the end of the year. To my knowledge, those points didn't apply to A-List Preferred status. I've not seen any reports of this being offered this year.