Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

adding companion to just ONE leg of an itinerary?

cassady
Explorer C

How do I add a companion to just the return part of my trip, not the entire round trip? When I pull up my confirmation number, I can not separate the outgoing from the return. I tried to call customer service but there is a 120 minute wait!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: adding companion to just ONE leg of an itinerary?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

If the companion pass is for the outbound leg I would add it now online, and call later or maybe even try twitter (you'll eventually DM them the details when they request it, never put name or confirmation number in a public tweet) to have CP removed from the return flight.

You'll get the $5.60 back for use on a later flight as a credit. Depending if the companion is flying somehwere else instead, when you come back to the airport solo, cancel the companion on the return leg.

Caveat: Ticketing software may be grumpy if the companion is double-booked, so don't do any of these methods if companion already has other flight plans that would be conflicting.

If the companion is only flying back with you, you'll need to call in advance since the companion booking would likely be canceled if they don't make the first flight. If there aren't conflicting travel plans you could still add CP online now, and resolve it later when phones are quiet though, but in this case it has to be before you travel.

For future use, I usually book one-way tickets on Southwest so that it's more flexible with companion bookings, upgrades, changes, cancels, etc.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: adding companion to just ONE leg of an itinerary?

KimVanderKley
Frequent Flyer C

I have been please with one way tickets.  Works well!

@16fseataFFBK