Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

buying ticket for someone else do I get rapid reward points. would not let me use # name don't match

elizabeth6
Explorer C

I bought a ticket for my mom for the holiday.  I signed in under my account and put her name on the ticket.  It said to take the rewards number off because the name did not match.  Will I be getting the points or should I make my mom an account?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: buying ticket for someone else do I get rapid reward points. would not let me use # name don't m

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Frequent flyer miles or points always go to the flyer. Create an account for your mother, then use the link below to add her number to her itinerary.

https://www.southwest.com/flight/addRRNumPnrEntry.html

If you'd like to earn RR points as the purchaser, get the RR Visa card.

Spelled name on flight reservation

Rerampy
Explorer C

I bought a ticket for my father and left the a out of his first name. How do I change his name from Hrvey Marshall to Harvey Marshall? Flight JX4ACJ on 12/19.

Also, as I purchased the ticket, how do I get the points for the ticket?

Re: Spelled name on flight reservation

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Rerampy wrote:

I bought a ticket for my father and left the a out of his first name. How do I change his name from Hrvey Marshall to Harvey Marshall? Flight xxxxx on 12/19.

@First question, you'll need to call, or it might be able to resolve by Twitter if you reach out to @SouthwestAir if you use that platform - don't send any personally identifying information until they ask for a direct message. Also please edit your post here to remove the confirmation number and passenger's full name.

Call customer service is the other option, if they need any proof sent to them they'll let you know:

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

This one seems kind of obvious to be a typo, but I'm not sure what they may ask for. He might even be okay just showing up as-is and explaining the situation, but since you have some time it may be worth resolving correctly.

Assuming it was a Wanna Get Away fare, you'll need to take these actions. If it was Business Select or Anytime fare then you can refund it and rebook, and the price probably wouldn't have changed much.

@Rerampy wrote:

Also, as I purchased the ticket, how do I get the points for the ticket?

Second question: you don't get the points for the ticket, most airline rewards programs including Southwest Rapid Rewards are in the name of the passenger, so your dad would have the points if he has a Rapid Rewards account. If he doesn't have one, you can make one prior to the flight which would allow him access to the flight on the app, among other benefits. The points can be added retroactively as well up to a year I believe.

You would still earn points for purchasing the flight if you have the Rapid Rewards Visa, including the extra point per dollar spent on Southwest.com. (Total of 2 points/dollar for you, and your dad gets the 6x points for WGA fares.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.