Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

"2 Buckets" of Points??

Salem
Explorer C

I'm so confused about how the points thing works. I'm a Rapid Rewards Member through Southwest, and I also have the Southwest Chase credit card.

When I use the card, I get 1 point / $1 on normal stuff, and 2 points / $1 on SW airline tickets. Is that also for if I buy the ticket for someone else? And what do these credit card points GO toward?

Then I get different rapid rewards points when I buy SW tickets (for myself). My account shows I have about 20,000 points. What do these points GO toward? And where did they come from? From what I bought with the card?

I just don't get this "2 buckets" thing. 

I bought a ticket for my husband - not a member, no SW card. So what points will I get?

So confused... thanks for any help!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: "2 Buckets" of Points??

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

When you purchase any ticket with your Southwest Airlines Chase credit card you earn 2 points per $$ spent.  All points earned will be posted in your Rapid rewards account once a month.   Every time you purchase a ticket and fly you earn even more points for the flight.  All these points are for you to use to take free flights.  If you purchase a ticket for someone else you do not earn the flight points.  My I suggest this book "The magic of points" 

@Amazon@Amazon@Amazon@Amazon

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

You can click on "My Account" on the Southwest website and then "recent activity" to see where your points came from.  Will show credit card or flights, etc.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It can be confusing. 😉

There's actually only one "bucket" of points -- your Rapid Rewards account. All the points you earn will be deposited there.

You'll earn points for every purchase you make on the Southwest Visa from Chase (1 point per dollar for general purchases, 2 points per dollar for Southwest purchases). You'll also earn points from Southwest after each flight you take -- the amount will vary depending on the fare type and amount.

If you use your card to pay for a flight for someone else, you'll earn the 2 points per dollar for the fare paid, but the traveler will earn the points for the flight taken (if they have an RR account).

You can use the points to book travel on Southwest for yourself or anyone else. Through the "More Rewards" option -- available only to cardholders -- you can buy things like gift cards and book other travel options (international, rental car)... but the redemption rates are very bad, so that's only a good option if you have tons of points and no need for travel on Southwest.

One big note: Do not believe the Southwest advertising that "Points don't expire." They absolutely can and do expire. In order to keep that from happening, you'll need to have point earning activity at least every 24 months. Luckily, that's as simple as traveling on a paid Southwest fare, or making a purchase through Rapid Rewards Dining or Shopping. But don't cut it close -- once the points are forfeited, they are gone forever.