Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Check Your Existing Reservations for Possible Cancellations

TexasTerrapan
Explorer C

I just checked on a flight in June and noticed it was cancelled, but I never received word of the cancellation.  This also happened last week on a flight that was cancelled but I did not receive a text.  The troubling part about the June cancellation is the original flight had two legs to it, and both legs are still actual flights. It seems Southwest eliminated my option of combining the two legs.  So, my flight no longer exists yet no actual flight was cancelled.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Check Your Existing Reservations for Possible Cancellations

dfwskier
Aviator A

SW may have changed the arrival time of one flight and/or he departure time of the other so that you not have enough time to get from one plane to the other. That would cause your reservation to to cancel while both planes still show as active. 

TexasTerrapan
Explorer C

No change in the arrival and departure times.  In fact, I would have a two hour layover.   I can only hope the flight was cancelled in error.   Waiting for an official answer from Southwest.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TexasTerrapan wrote:

No change in the arrival and departure times.  In fact, I would have a two hour layover.   I can only hope the flight was cancelled in error.   Waiting for an official answer from Southwest.

Your itinerary is most likely canceled. Though both flights are still showing in the system, one or more is probably not available to book. Check back again tomorrow or the next day and you will likely see that the flight is no longer even listed.

I believe Southwest's systems work like this: To remove flights from the schedule, Southwest actually has to upload an entirely new schedule. With the huge number of changes currently being made, creating that new schedule takes some time. To cancel a flight, the quickest thing to do is to simply make a flight unavailable, zeroing out inventory so that it can't be booked, even though it still shows up when you search. when the flight is officially canceled, that triggers the notices to go out. Then, once the schedule update is loaded the system will no longer show that flight.

Unfortunately, lack of notification does seem to be a frequent complaint. Notifications are sent via the method you choose when you book your flight. I'm not sure if there's a way to change that after you book, but make sure you enter everything correctly when booking a flight, and also check your email spam folder just in case. 

TexasTerrapan
Explorer C

I really appreciate your attempt to explain my situation.  It sure has expanded my understanding of how flights are scheduled.   I did do some digging into my situation, and I may have found a way to keep my flight.  My flight still shows up in my account as active, but it does not show up in SWA on line flight options.  It looks like SWA cut the number of flights from Hou-Albany on June 8th to just 3, with the latest leaving at 8am.  I might be able to keep my flight for June 30th since both legs are still active, and I guess the only thing that has changed is no NEW bookings for that type of flight.  Again, I am still waiting for SWA to tell me that, but in the meantime I will wait it out.  Thanks again for the help!

Tfarragut84
Explorer C

My flight on the 26th from Ontario, CA to Houston, TX is no longer listed. I called Southwest and verified that it is still scheduled and not cancelled. I really hope this is correct.

Or should I just assume it's cancelled and not updated yet?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Tfarragut84 wrote:

My flight on the 26th from Ontario, CA to Houston, TX is no longer listed. I called Southwest and verified that it is still scheduled and not cancelled. I really hope this is correct.

Or should I just assume it's cancelled and not updated yet?

It's really hard to say, but I suspect it's cancelled.