Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First week of May 2020 flights 6x cost

Andysouthwest
Adventurer C

I am looking to plan a trip the first week of May, flying out of Buffalo airport, to Las Vegas, Tampa or Phoenix but airfare is at least 5 times or more than the other weeks in May. Does anyone know the reason for this? I checked nearby airports of Cleveland and Rochester, their fares also reflect the high price.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: First week of May 2020 flights 6x cost

bec102896
Aviator A

I think southwest is making schedule changes right now so they took away a lot of the wanna get away tickets I noticed flights that were $45 2 hours a go are now $601 each with only 1 flight having a wanna get away ticket. They might do this to discourage people from buying while they make the changes so they don’t have to keep changing people who book in the middle of the system doing its magic. It could also just be a system malfunction. 

I would wait wait until tomorrow and hopefully the system will return to normal. 

-Blake 

jksobonya
Aviator A

I've noticed the first week in May is higher too (coming from PHL). I am sure they are adjusting their schedule all the time based on when they think 'normal' business may return.

--Jessica

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Glancing today at BUF to LAS, it looks like one-way fares start at $88 the first full week of May.

@jksobonya and @bec102896 were probably right about system updates; lots of schedule changes being made.  

Check it out now, and good luck! @Andysouthwest 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

dfwskier
Aviator A

I agree with Elijah.

I've looked at the routes I fly, and have seen no price increases.

As a matter of fact, it appears the airline has extended cheap fares another week into June - to June 17.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Ironically enough, it's just for that one week, and the very low fares do continue into mid-June now. 

--Jessica

Lmkel68
Adventurer C

Maybe they are trying to make up for all of the flight disruptions and cancellations

Andysouthwest
Adventurer C

Appreciate the replies. For an update, I just spoke to Southwest, there reply was they eliminated flights because of Covid 19.  Obviously they changed the flights for that week to more reasonable rates this morning. Makes sense they were so high for a short time so customers weren’t booking.