Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Re: No Refund for Early Bird Checkin

New Arrival

Dispute filed...one small step for me and one other step for .... or something like that!!!!!

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@gerogem129 wrote:

Dispute filed...one small step for me and one other step for .... or something like that!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, where did you file the dispute?

Highlighted

New Arrival

I had the same thing occur! My family and I had a round trip flight booked to Cancun on April 11, which is no longer happening, and we did “early bird” access because we have children and did not want to run the risk of not being able to have seats together on the flights. Now SW is stating that these fees ($200) are non refundable/creditable unless we rebook the flights now to the same destination. Under the circumstances that is obviously impossible . Given the current situation I would have expected a more flexible approach. $200 is a lot of money and this issue was completely outside of our control!!! Disappointing service from an organization that touts itself as being customer-centric!

Highlighted

No Refund for Early Bird Check In

New Arrival

I made an iffy reservation being confident Southwest has my back. No cancellation or change fees! However, I do not recall seeing anywhere that Early Bird fees were not included in your heavily advertised no change or cancellation fees or I would  never had selected that amenity at time of reservation. When customer chooses Early Bird, let them know upon booking, not after they cancel their flight! I canceled due to projected longevity of the Coronavirus threat. 

Highlighted

Re: No Refund for Early Bird Check In

Employee
Employee
Solution

While EarlyBird is nonrefundable, we're recommending our Customers impacted by EarlyBird Check-In please contact Customer Relations for consideration by phone at 1-855-234-4654, or any of the options in the link below. Thank you!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

Nicole
Community Manager
Highlighted

New Arrival

I wholeheartedly agree with original poster. For Blake to tell her to call CS, she already said she did. I did too and was told the same thing “sorry, it’s our policy.”  Well, SWA needs to immediately re-evaluate the policy because none of this is anyone’s fault and for SWA to pocket all the early-bird rates during this time is FRAUDULENT as they will make millions in these fees without having to provide any kind of service and possibly be receiving bailouts/loans from the US Govt. 

SWA, you REALLY need to re-think this non-refund policy immediately. 

Highlighted

New Arrival

I am also upset at no refund for early bird.  I am also upset about the unrealistic deadlines on travel credits.  I didn't cancel on a whim.  I have no way of knowing -- and neither do you -- when I will be able to travel again.  I want my full refund for everything I bought in good faith, and I want it returned to my credit card.  Your suggestion of a phone call is ludicrous.  Hold times are impossible.  The email link on your site is not working.  How am I supposed to get in touch?  You want a government bailout?  First play fair with your customers.

Highlighted

New Arrival

I feel exactly as you do!! The same person told me to call as well. My husband has called twice and they told him sorry but not sorry! Such a slap in the face. There is no reason to not give us back our funds other than them making money off this horrible situation. I hope someone escalates this and let’s everyone know that Southwest doesn’t stand by their customers during a time of crisis and certainly doesn’t educate their reps to let their customers know that this is non-refundable. How many of you would have thought twice, during these times, to ever purchase a non-refundable item?!! I never would have if she told me!

Southwest, like all airlines around the world, is trying to survive right now. The terms were clearly laid out when you purchased EBCI. They are losing much more than you, and I suggest it is unfair that you expect them to make an exception in this regard. It isn't your fault, but it isn't their fault either. Honestly, EBCI is a relatively small amount, and they are just playing by clearly stated and fair rules.

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@bwallet wrote:

Southwest, like all airlines around the world, is trying to survive right now. The terms were clearly laid out when you purchased EBCI. They are losing much more than you, and I suggest it is unfair that you expect them to make an exception in this regard. It isn't your fault, but it isn't their fault either. Honestly, EBCI is a relatively small amount, and they are just playing by clearly stated and fair rules.

IMHO, $200 (EBCI for a family of 4 on some round trips) isn't that small of an amount.

Most importantly, it would seem that "rules" are somewhat nebulous these days.

An example: Southwest is refusing the refund these fees even when they've cancelled a flight. This would seem to be not "playing by clearly stated and fair rules."

ebci.png