Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Passenger of size refund

mfox1008
Explorer C

I booked a flight with Southwest several months ago. Plans have changed with the coronavirus and my cruise being cancelled. I purchased 1 ticket for my daughter and 2 tickets for myself (extra seat). The total for the 3 tickets was $1361.88 (we were flying into Florida around spring break, it was pricy). Per SW policy, I will be refunded for the extra seat after the flight. The problem is, I AM NO LONGER FLYING! I called and was given the option to cancel/rebook and receive SW credit for future flight. I 100% understand they are not going to refund my money. But, it is totally unfair that I am not being refunded the extra seat. 

Does this make sense? I paid $453 for the extra seat and SW will not refund it until I take the flight.

I rebooked my cruise for May and the plane fare for that time is significantly cheaper. I did a mock booking and the total for 3 seats was $560, or about $187/each. Which means, after the flight SW will refund me the extra seat $187 instead of the $453 I originally paid. 

Any advice on what to do?? I don't travel a whole lot, and of course when I do, THIS HAPPENS!!! 😓

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Passenger of size refund

dfwskier
Aviator A

Yours is an interesting situation that you should discuss with SW customer service

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

SWDigits
Aviator A

Have you already contacted Southwest to double check with them and to request a refund for the extra seat?  Don't call, the phones are jammed so best bets are probably the chat function with the app or Twitter (their handle is avaiable by clicking the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of forum pages).

Customer | Home airport DCA

mfox1008
Explorer C

I called on Tuesday or Wednesday and was told I have the funds available for a yr and would be refunded for the extra seat after my flight. I was looking at rebooking and found the flights are significantly cheaper in May. I understand I will still have the credit on my account but feel I should get the full refund for the extra seat. 

I do not have a Twitter.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

If I were you, I'd send an e-mail.

Click on "contact us" below to find out how to do that.

bec102896
Aviator A

@mfox1008 wrote:

I called on Tuesday or Wednesday and was told I have the funds available for a yr and would be refunded for the extra seat after my flight. I was looking at rebooking and found the flights are significantly cheaper in May. I understand I will still have the credit on my account but feel I should get the full refund for the extra seat. 

I do not have a Twitter.

If you rebook you might be able to use the credit for the 2nd seat then after travel reach out about having that 2nd seat refunded at that point. 

I'm not 100% sure if it would work that way but that's how I think it might work but I would double check with Southwest. 

-Blake