Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel fund extension apply if I cancel?

JamRam545
Explorer C

We booked a round trip Apr into May. We will be canceling as this was a trip to WDW and they most likely will be closed. 

Does the updated travel funds extension apply if I cancel our flight? Or is it only flights that SW cancels?

Our travel funds expire Oct 2020 currently and I would just like to rebook for next year, same window. The extension of travel funds would make that possible 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Travel fund extension apply if I cancel?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

It doesn’t matter how the travel fund comes to be only the expiration.

With an October expiration I don’t believe you are covered for the extension yet, although there could be changes to the policy as the situation continues.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

Per Southwest:

Any newly created travel fund because of a flight cancellation between March 1-May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021

This includes flights you cancel yourself within this time frame.

Hope it helps!

Source: https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Blog/Policy-Update-amp-Clarification-Extending-Travel-Credi... 

--Jessica

JamRam545
Explorer C

Awesome, thanks! That’s how I read it to!

KMA78
Explorer C

Hi Jessica,

Just tagging on to this post...just cancelled a flight today for April 13th and it says my travel funds expire 2/2021. The June 2021 was not applied per this new policy. Should I be calling regarding this?

Thank you

SWDigits
Aviator A

@KMA78 Southwest indicated in their blog post that the IT implementation will take time.

Customer | Home airport DCA

KMA78
Explorer C

Thank you! I did see 14 days after more reading. Hoping that’s the case.