Airbus A321

grbbse
Explorer C

69449400_736972933439788_4220595905291065578_n.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Airbus A321

bec102896
Aviator A

Do you have a question about the A321? As of now Southwest doesn't have any in it's fleet and I haven't seen any news that Southwest will add Airbus to its fleet at this time. 

-Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

Do you have a question about the A321? As of now Southwest doesn't have any in it's fleet and I haven't seen any news that Southwest will add Airbus to its fleet at this time. 

-Blake

Agree.

Even if Southwest wanted the aircraft, it is sold out for delivery over the next 5 years, so the earliest that the airline could get one is mid 2025

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

That looks...odd. 😝

jksobonya
Aviator A

lol!

Southwest uses Boeing 737s exclusively. 

Airbus A321 is an American Airlines airplane. 😉 

--Jessica

Cable-TV-Guy
Adventurer C

Trust me... (Yes, I know the "other meaning" of that phrase!) If SW were to make a "significant" order (say 50 airframes) with Airbus contingent on expedited delivery of, say the first dozen within a year of contract signing, I'm sure Airbus would offer "incentives" to current customers to "make it happen", and move SW ahead of the "line".  It's sort of like the auto business.  Ever buy a car from the dealer of a competing brand to your trade-in and get an additional "conquest" bonus on the Sales Order?  Same thing with airliner manufacturers.

Yes, it's essentially an oligopoly.  But, the competition between Boeing and Airbus is so fierce that Airbus would pull out all the stops to get a "presence" in the Southwest fleet.  If you don't believe me, Google the deal Airbus made with the long-ago Eastern Airlines to get 4 A300's into their fleet at essentially only the cost of fuel and crew salaries for a "try them" lease.  IIRC, maintenance, training, spares, etc., were all included free.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Cable-TV-Guy wrote:

It's not a question of price for the A321. It is a question of availability.  Airbus' factories are running faster than ever - at the highest capacity ever. The aircraft is sold out for the next 5 years, so it can't just "turn out a few more" for Southwest.

The only way any airline gets a few A321s in the near term is if Airbus talks another customer into giving up some near term delivery slots.