Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Anyone notice rates are going up?

CABound
Explorer C

I'm curious if anyone else feels like rates are just skyrocketing this year.  I love SW but ever since they started Hawaii service it seems that going anywhere else in the country costs at least $400 per seat.  I travel between the east and west coast a lot and even a month or months in advance I can't find things under $400.  Curious if anyone else feels this way too.

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Anyone notice rates are going up?

SWDigits
Aviator A

I'm a fan of their low fare calendar and usually start there if we have flexible dates: https://www.southwest.com/air/low-fare-calendar/index.html

Customer | Home airport DCA

jksobonya
Aviator A

$400 one way seems incredibly high for a Wanna Get Away fare. Where are you flying from? 

From PHL, flights are generally more expensive than they were (thank you MAX grounding) but depending on where I fly I can get rates under $100 one way. The absolute cheapest I've seen is PHL > BNA for $45 during the week. It all depends on where you are from and where you are going. 

Flights to Vegas are averaging $200 one way (so $400 round trip). In the past I always considered a good flight $150 one way, or below. 

--Jessica

Lindsey
Adventurer A

I fly between California and Texas pretty regularly, and I'm always a little surprised at how high the fares are, too. Still LUV my SWA and I stay loyal as much as possible, but in all honesty I've definitely noticed it isn't always the cheapest option for my particular route.

@Lindsey
Former Employee, Fan for Life.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@jksobonya I know your comment about $45 BNA to PHO is several months old, but I just booked this route for that a couple days ago!

Also, related to fares, I think cross country for $400 isn’t necessarily terrible. You could always book it and keep an eye on it, rebooking to for your money back in the form of travel funds. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

jksobonya
Aviator A

Nice @elijahbrantley! Ha, so much has changed since that post! Flights have gone way down and they've since gone back to almost pre-COVID levels, depending on the route.

--Jessica

gsking
Aviator C

Skyrocketing seems a bit hyperbolic, but I suspect two things might have contibuted to the rise:

1.  Fares seem to be higher at first, outside of sales.  Often times, they go down, during sales, as the WGA fares aren't consumed at the "list" prices.  Always check your ticket and grab a rebate if you can.

2.  Good flight slots are more expensive due to the change waiver allowed for flights in spring and summer.  Tickets bought at cheap midweek fares were swapped for high demand Fri and Sun tickets with no increase in price.

That said, I wonder how Corvid cancellations will affect near-term pricing.  Hmmm...might be some discounts to be had, even last minute?

Cable-TV-Guy
Adventurer C

Yes, I'm seeing the same thing.  SWA is still competitive when figuring-in the bag fees.  Not to mention the quality of the people.  As the saying goes, 'You get what you pay for'.  And, if SWA costs a few extra $ because of the people, it might be worth it...

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I'm 100% loyal to SWA, but I do fly other airlines as well when they don't fly to the city I'm going to.  Mostly upper midwest, but have flown another airline that right now has 29 flights for me to Texas.  Won't say the name, but you might google that and find out.   Or you can private message me and I will let you know.  Flying to TX has always been high for me when it comes to going to Austin, Houston, or San Antonio.  

shelbyusn
Frequent Flyer C

Yes, I have noticed it also.

I am a Sailor