Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

FLIGHT CANCELLATION

Ahrabizad
Explorer C

twice in the past 2 weeks Southwest Airlines has cancelled my flight.  When I fly for business I cannot just rebook for a flight that takes 9 hours to get me to my destination, especially when I am going for only half a day. Also i have had to incur the expense of hotel charges and airport parking .  There was no reason for my flights to have been cancelled .  There was not bad weather any where that I was traveling both times.  When you call they do not offer to reimburse you for the hotel and airport parking ii is getting really frustrating. It would be nice if Southwest would inform you at the time of purchase that their is a 50% chance your flight will be cancelled for no reason, then at least i have the choice to go with another airline. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: FLIGHT CANCELLATION

jksobonya
Aviator A

Hello,

What was your flight route? Southwest can cancel flights for any number of reasons not related to weather. Specifically, flight routes have been terminated due to decreasing popularity combined with the shortage of planes due to the MAX 8 grounding. If your flight route is less popular, it's very possible your flight was cancelled for this reason. (But I can't say this with certainty without knowing more information about your route.) 

--Jessica

SWDigits
Aviator A
I'd get in touch with the Southwest Twitter team, their handle is available by clicking the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of forum pages.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

No airline cancels flights "for no reason." 

Airlines don't like cancelling flights - period, but things do happen. If you fly enough, you are going to have flights cancelled. That's the case with Southwest --- or Delta, American or United or even Spirit.

I get the impression from your comment that your cancellations occurred on or the day before your dates of travel.

Why could it happen?

Bad weather where the plane is coming from (not necessarily your departure or destination cities).

Something wrong with the plane

Something prevented the crew from getting where they were supposed to be - no crew no flight.

Sorry it happened to you. May your future flight turn out better. 

You could reach out to the airline to ask for a voucher (good for future travel) for your trouble.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

Beachbum12
Explorer C

My last 3 flights have been cancelled but not at the last minute like you..and the last one they did the same thing..a 3 hour and 45 min trip was changed to 9 hrs.. I do believe it has to do with the grounding of the max..someone had mention the max will not be available until June 6th so my flight using that plane should not have been an option ...l call to speak to someone they were not very sympathetic if they do have to cancel flights they should at least give us one that's comparable to the ones they cancelled on us I hope they can straighten this out in the future because if not I'm going to start looking at other airlines this has been happening much too much

bec102896
Aviator A

@Beachbum12 wrote:

My last 3 flights have been cancelled but not at the last minute like you..and the last one they did the same thing..a 3 hour and 45 min trip was changed to 9 hrs.. I do believe it has to do with the grounding of the max..someone had mention the max will not be available until June 6th so my flight using that plane should not have been an option ...l call to speak to someone they were not very sympathetic if they do have to cancel flights they should at least give us one that's comparable to the ones they cancelled on us I hope they can straighten this out in the future because if not I'm going to start looking at other airlines this has been happening much too much

If your flight was cancelled due to the max you should have received an email with instructions on how to change to another flight if you don’t like the new flight they put you on. You usually have 3 days to change the reservation for free. 

-Blake