Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

International travel via Partner airlines

MarylandMary
Explorer C

I've had a Southwest credit card for several years. One of the reasons I got the card is cardholders had some options for international travel using Southwest points that other RR members didn't have. I finally have the occasion to be interested in this and I can find absolutely no information about this. I can only think the program has been discontinued. Can anyone tell me when and why?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: International travel via Partner airlines

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@MarylandMary wrote:

I've had a Southwest credit card for several years. One of the reasons I got the card is cardholders had some options for international travel using Southwest points that other RR members didn't have. I finally have the occasion to be interested in this and I can find absolutely no information about this. I can only think the program has been discontinued. Can anyone tell me when and why?

The card with an annual fee includes no foreign transaction fees - that's the only impact to international travel that I'm aware of.

I haven't ever heard of Southwest having international partner airlines, although I've been flying Southwest for about ten years, I don't know if you are thinking of something earlier than 2008?

Obviously in the past few years Southwest has expanded their own service to Central American destinations, but you wouldn't be able to fly them to Brasil or Argentina for example, and none to Asia or Europe.

Edit: the responses below show that you can redeem points for flights. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

I know they have the more rewards site which you can use points to book international flights as well as hotels or a rental car is that what your talking about if so that does exist still and they actually made it possible for non card holders to use it as well 

to find the more rewards site you click on rapid rewards on the top of the home page then click how to redeem there you will see the redeem for more rewards 

IMG_6081.PNG

Hope this helps

Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A

To add to what blake said,  you CAN book interntional flights using RR points:

this is what comes up from the SW R apid Rewards area:

https://www.qrttravel.com/search.jsp#/air

I just tried to book an ORD/MUC trip. The response gave me a choice of flights on British Air, American or LOT

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

That's cool! I guess I wouldn't call it a "partner airline" exactly, but I stand corrected about there being a way to book international travel with points.

I wouldn't do that myself, the points are too valuable using companion pass, but I guess that might make sense for some people to redeem them in that way.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.