Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Intl flight returning through FLL - can 2 companions skip final leg after customs?

andy7317
Explorer C

Planning a trip to Belize for spring break, departing from IND and looking at connecting through FLL on the return flight from BZE.  My son and his girlfriend would be with my wife and I, as our companions on the companion pass and would like to get picked up at FLL to spend a few days with her family.  Is there anything preventing them from claiming their bags after customs as required at FLL and skipping the final leg to IND?  Just wondering if them not boarding the last leg would affect either of our flights to IND since they would be our companion?  Any insight would be appreciated. 

Andy

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Intl flight returning through FLL - can 2 companions skip final leg after customs?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

As long as you are following the rule that the companion cannot fly without the Companion Pass holder your plan will work. In your situation it sounds like only the companions will be skipping out so you're ok. The polite thing would be to have the people who will not be continuing on inform a gate agent that they won't flying so no one is waiting for them or needlessly paging out, "Mr and Mrs xxxx please come to the gate immediately, your flight is departing." A simple, "I'm not going to be taking the flight" works.

Edit: You also only want to do this on the last leg of a trip. Again, in your situation that seems to be what you are doing so no problem for you. If you attempted this on the first leg of a round trip it would cancel your return. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Intl flight returning through FLL - can 2 companions skip final leg after customs?

andy7317
Explorer C

Excellent, seems like we should be able to make that work, will definitely let the gate agents know.  Thanks!