Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is there a policy where you can't stand up for any reason?

acalkins10
Explorer C

On my recent flight from Las Vegas to Seattle we were told we couldn't leave or seats for any reason except for going to the bathroom if it was already unoccupied. Is this a new policy? I suffer with a bad back and need to stretch periodically.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Is there a policy where you can't stand up for any reason?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@acalkins10 wrote:

On my recent flight from Las Vegas to Seattle we were told we couldn't leave or seats for any reason except for going to the bathroom if it was already unoccupied. Is this a new policy? I suffer with a bad back and need to stretch periodically.

When turbulence is expected, movement about the cabin is forbidden. Normally there would not be an exception for bathroom trips.

Why? Peeling your bloody  face off the ceiling is not an experience you'd want to enjoy.

acalkins10
Explorer C

There was no turbulence. The "policy" was stated while we were at the gate.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution
You can use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page to inquire with Southwest if nobody comes back with a similar experience (most of us are passengers like you).

My only *personal* experience with something like that is on the last part of flights to DCA

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

@acalkins10 wrote:

There was no turbulence. The "policy" was stated while we were at the gate.

1) The FAA requires passengers to be seated BEFORE the aircraft can be moved even one inch - no exceptions. No one can be walking about. If it is near departure time, the airline doesn't  want people milling about and potentially delaying departure (which could cause a flight to miss it's departure "slot" and be delayed further).

2) Just because there was "no turbulence" doesn't mean that other pilots did not report it and therefor that is was anticipated.