Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mexico City airport

gvalerie
Explorer C

Are there two airports to which SW flies? I couldn't get an answer online and didn't want to call and be on cell? And can anyone give me good suggestions for navigating the airport and getting transportation to San Miguel de Allende and back to the airport with little confusion/expense. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Mexico City airport

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest only flies into Mexico City International (aka Benito Juarez airport). It's been years since I've flown into MEX so someone else will need to help you with ground transit recommendations).

reminder, Southwest ceases  all service to MEX on 4/1/19. 

gvalerie
Explorer C

Thanks for the info. So the designation for the airport is the three letters MEX or something else?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@gvalerie wrote:

Thanks for the info. So the designation for the airport is the three letters MEX or something else?

Correct. It is MEX.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Here's the page for central american service:

https://www.southwest.com/international/

Note that service to MEX will be discontinued this year. You might need to check out some other options if your timeframe isn't during the remaining service to MEX, the next closest Southwest airport is PVR and that's quite a distance.

Where is your origination airport?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gvalerie
Explorer C

Luckily booked my flight from March 17th to March 21. What is your opinion on the use of the Mobile Passport Control app?

SWDigits
Aviator A
Thanks for mentioning the app, I've never heard of it. I just read through the FAQ for the app and it looks like you still need to carry your passport, the app is just a replacement for the paper customs form. From your experience is that the only benefit of the app?

The support page is here: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

Customer | Home airport DCA

gvalerie
Explorer C

Added info. Home airport is St. Louis, flying to Houston Hobby before flight to Mexico City. First time to go through customs for air travel...done so for cruises but not air.