Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Nonstop from OAK to PVR

rhodesengr
Explorer C

I am curious if there is any ryhme or reason to when the nonstop flights bewteen OAK to PVR (#125 and #125) are offered. I travel to PVR several times a year and love the 124/125 flights. I recently made the trip in July and several months before when i booked that trip, the nonstops were not available. I just booked my next trip for December and the nonstops were available. I figured maybe they had to stop the nonstops due to the Max8 problem (needed to use some of planes for routes served by Max8's). However, the Max8's are still not back in service yet the nonstops are available in December. Is there some sort of master shcedule where you can see when those flights are available? Seems the only way is to search on a specific day. I could not find a way to see the calendar for that specific flight.

For my July trip, I had to connect through LAX. Other than taking longer, going down wasn't too bad but coming back through LAX and having to connect was horrible. Compared to OAK, the LAX International terminal is a terible zoo with long lines, long walks, and then a long walk to Terminal 1 for the flight to OAK. The traffic looked so bad I didn't dare try the shuttle. I hope I never need to connect trhough LAX again.

SWA is my "go to" airline but if I want to go to PVR and the nonstop isn't being offered, I would consider another airline.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Nonstop from OAK to PVR

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

When you checked for non-stops in July did you look at every day of the week? I don't know what the schedule was in July, but currently there's only a Saturday non-stop and could easily be missed if you were only looking at certain days of the week. Additional days of the week are added in early October and then even more in November. It's obviously a seasonal non-stop service and based on the higher demand for service in the winter months. There just might not be enough demand to warrant non-stop service every month of the year.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution
Here is the link for the PVR to OAK weekly schedule, you can toggle weeks by clicking on the "<" or ">" buttons. I find this as one of the easiest ways to find nonstop flights:
https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/results.html?departureDate=2019-08-18&destinationAirp...

Customer | Home airport DCA

rhodesengr
Explorer C

Thanks. That weekly view of the schedule is exactly what I was looking for. It will help a lot as I book more trips. 

cdailey4
Explorer C

Hi rhodesengr!  It looks like after January 5, 2020 the nonstop OAK/PVR/OAK flights are being cancelled.  I just tried to book for January and there aren't any through March 6, which is how far they've put their schedule out.  So, now it's connection through Denver, which is way out of our way, or change airlines and fly nonstop from SFO on Alaska Air or United.  HUGE bummer as I too fly several times a year to PVR.  In 2018 we were there 5 times, and by the end of this year it's 5 times again.  I'm bummed!!

rhodesengr
Explorer C

That's is a major bummer. I do appreciate the heads up. I need a flight in February. Maybe now it is a Max8 issue and the flights will come back when the max8's get airborn again. Have not heard much in the news about all that lately.

cdailey4
Explorer C

I am crossing my fingers the nonstops will come back when/if the issue is resolved.  The sad thing is the reservations agents this morning had no idea if the flights were cancelled and I can't get anyone on SW to respond to my tweets, they're responding to everyone else.  Kinda sad.  Anyway, good luck to you!!!  

rhodesengr
Explorer C

Well I just looked in more detail. it is not just the OAK flight that is no scheduled. There is no more flight from LAX either. Something is really weird or they are pulling out of the PVR market. During all that time which is high season they are only flying twice a week. Very different from last year.

cdailey4
Explorer C

I think it's the Max 8 issue.  They have Saturday nonstop in the San Diego markets and they still have the wonderful Denver N/S and have Houston as well.  I've not looked further, just trying to figure out how to get my PVR/OAK flight Jan 8th without spending over 9 hours but using SW miles.  I'm super frustrated with them.  I really hope they bring the flights back. 

Their flights are always full to PVR so not sure if they'd pull out of the market, but they may.

Good luck to you!!

gnashed
Explorer C

Yep... I wake up early this morning excited to book my direct flight from Oak to PVR in Feb but I was surprised to see it was no longer available. I tried looking even out of SNA or LAX and they were also not available. I called Southwest and the agent has no clue. That's really bad for Southwest...and us.