Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Tourist card included for Dominican Republic?

chynee
Explorer C

Some airlines include the $10 tourist card in price of ticket. I know there is an airport authority fee on my ticket of $15 but I don’t know if that’s what that is. Do I need to get a tourist card as well?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Tourist card included for Dominican Republic?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Earlier this year the Dominican Republic government mandated all airlines include the $10 fee in the purchase of a ticket. Southwest does now include both the $10 arrival tourist card fee and the $20 departure tax if you are making a roundtrip flight. You can see the tax and fee breakdown on the "Trip & Price Details" screen immediately after you select the flights you want to book. Click the "show price breakdown" link under the trip total price. The tourist card is listed as Other Tax and departure tax is also shown. I don't know when exactly this started so if you already purchased your flights earlier this year you may still need to pay the fees in cash upon arrival.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Mikeyb1968
Explorer C

Can this be anymore confusing? I purchased my flight to the DR 4/7/18. I called Southwest 6/6/18 and asked if they are including the Tourist Card in the price of the ticket. She said no. She sent me a breakdown, I see nothing that would be the Tourist Card fee. So I just looked up  "show price breakdown" link under the trip total price for a new booking. THE $10 TOURIST CARD IS UNDER INCLUDED AND ALSO NOT INCLUDED! WHAT??

chynee
Explorer C

Exactly!!! It's so confusing and not straightforward.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi all, 

Apologies for the confusing situation. Here's some info to help clear it up. 

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) and Dominican Republic officially released the bulletin regarding the tourism fee effective for tickets issued on/after April 13 and for travel on/after April 25. Prior to the official bulletin, the fee was collected from the passenger at the airport upon arrival in DR. As of April 25, Southwest began collecting the fee in the price of the ticket. 

chynee
Explorer C

That's great, but how do you look if you already booked the flights earlier this year? When I go to upcoming trips, it doesn't tell me. I booked before the mandate started (in April), but some airlines started including it prior. Southwest can't give a straight asnwer, but I'm also wondering how the DR airport will sort through who has it included and who doesn't.