Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Website Access Denied

IanYVR
Explorer C

The Southwest.com website appears to be inoperative.  Every time I try to access it I get an 'Access Denied' error as follows:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.southwest.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.6677b5c.1524600451.64f99140

I saw in earlier posts that this is a common issue with accessing the Southwest website!  Most posters note that Southwest generally claims this issue is not their fault; yet with so many people reporting the same issue, it really must be.

I've tried accessing it from two different computers on several different networks as well as from my mobile phone, all with the same unsuccessful result.  I've even tried the Southwest App, but it is absolutely useless, crashing as soon as you attempt to search for an airport in either the Departure or Arrival field.

I guess Southwest doesn't want anybody's business after their recent tragedy.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Website Access Denied

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

This has typically been reported when people are attempting to access southwest.com from outside the United States.  It appears Southwest is blocking traffic from some foreign countries and the only workaround has been to use a VPN to make the traffic appear as if it is originating in the US. Are you in or outside the United States?

--TheMiddleSeat

deezeyener
Explorer C

I am IN the United States, and I cannot access the Southwest page on my computer.  I get the 'access denied' thing every time.  Very frustrating!

asnet
Explorer C

As of today Oct 23, 2018, I can no longer log into my SW account online. I live in Santa Fe, NM, US and am getting the Access Denied message. I was able to log in yesterday and made a reservation. Now I can't even pull up the info from a link sent to me by SW via email. 

Has anyone researched the error msg code? Maybe SW IT people need a little help if they haven't solved this for over a year... 😕   This should be able to be resolved. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Yes, this topic does tend to come up all too frequently.

I'd suggest that you try several things

1) Reboot your computer and then try again.

2) Try your cell phone Southwest app. Others have noted better luck in connecting via cell data as opposed to a wifi connection.

Please come back and let us know if either of those suggestions worked for you.

so-swa
Explorer C

I suspect that SWA and increasingly more websites are using Akamai Client Reputation, or  Cloudflare (or similar) "security" products that blacklist IP addresses and there are false-positives that are blocking honest users.

See if you are also blocked from these:

united.com

tesla.com

fidelity.com

qantas.com

delta.com

aa.com

If you see "waf" in the error message, it stands for Web Application Firewall.  Sadly, the internet is trending this way. Hopefully, the companies will realize this is a broken system and stop using these blacklists from so-called "security experts".

Possible solutions:

a. Power-cycle your internet / ISP router. This may give you a different IP address.

b. Use a VPN service to originate from a different IP address.

c. Call your ISP, ask for a new IP address.

d. Try browsing in Chrome's incognito mode (won't help if your IP is blacklisted)

e. Tether to your smartphone and use LTE (a different IP address)

f. Go to the library, starbucks, etc and use their internet connection (sigh)

g. Complain to SWA and the others

Search the web for: waf access denied
for more info

JMBaker
Explorer B

I was having this exact same problem from Sweden for several months. "Access denied. You don't have permission to access http://www.southwest.com... on this server".  It didn't help changing computers, browsers, trying to access it from home or work. Nothing helped. Even the the iPhone App would not work from Sweden.   Until... I started using a VPN on my Macbook, which "tricked" the southwest webservers into thinking I was located in the USA (Atlanta GA).  Now I can access the southwest website without any problems.  

I suggest trying to use a VPN software to get around this problem. Obviously, SW airlines has major problems with their IT systems--having this type of problem for so long should have caused heads to roll in the IT department!  

/Jeff from Stockholm

FYI: I use Avast Security antivirus and VPN on a Macbook pro.  The AntiVirus is free, and the VPN has a 7-day free trial.  www.avast.com.  Works for Windows, Linux and Mac. Give it a try. 

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@JMBaker

If you ever use "TOR" The Onion Router, you could of be into big trouble. This is the same as VPN.

But, why would you wants to visit Southwest Airlines Websites? To buy a tickets or what? They won't let you visit their website outside of the United States for security reasons. Stay out of it!

Jwalsh3rd
Adventurer A

Good to know this.  I will be traveling in June from Israel to Detroit then flying from Detroit to Dallas on Southwest.  My check in time would have been thwarted but for your great advice.

bgbk78
Explorer C

I am in KL Malaysia, is it safe to use those free VPN i.e: proton VPN, etc  and log into Southwest website n make purchases of flight tix ? Is it safe for my credit card details eventhough I see the lock symbol next to the website url ? Pls help ...