Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Employment Questions for Flight Attendants

James94525
Adventurer C

I am curious about a few things:

1) Is there an age requirement to become a flight attendant, I am 60. 

2) Do I need to move to a needed location to get hired, or if I live in the Bay Area like I do, can I still work out of another city? Family reason make it impossible to relocate.

3) Facial hair, is that allowed? 

4) Do they train on demand, or do they wait till they have enough for a training class?

I never had thought of doing this till I drove a couple Southwest Attendants to the airport. I was very impressed with them, they told me a bit about their jobs, and when I said I wish I had theirs, they told me how to apply and that my age might not be a factor. I think I am well suited for it, I drive for a ride share, over 2000 rides, never had a bad experience to date and have a 5 star rating and was also a mail carrier. I enjoy people, and I think as I have gotten older, I have learned to learn from everyone. I will keep watching so I can apply. Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Employment Questions for Flight Attendants

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@James94525  Becoming a flight attendant is harder than you think and one that thousands aim for. If you read other threads on the community, many have applied several times and are still trying to land a position. Check out the link below to a site that should answer most of the questions you have:

https://www.aerocrewnews.com/monthly-features/major-airline-feature/a-glimpse-into-becoming-a-flight...

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

James94525
Adventurer C

Of course it's difficult or anyone could do it. I have been bless with a great many experiences in my lifetime that make me well suited to become a Flight Attendant. It's not life or death,  I am quite content where I am in lifet, but it would be an amazing experience and gratifying job. Just like my current position driving for a ride share. Meeting so many people, for a brief moment helps to show how really alike we all are. So whatever happens, I am already blessed. You can only succeed by trying and believing in yourself. 

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @James94525,

Thanks so much for your interest in joining our Team! To help answer your questions: 

• You must be at least 20 years old to join our Team as a Flight Attendant, but other than that there are no age requirements.
  • Oakland Airport is what we call an Inflight Base, meaning that you could be based out of Oakland. In fact, it is one of our most "junior" bases, which means that many new Flight Attendants are often assigned to the Oakland base upon completion of training.
  • Facial hair is allowed, as long as it is kept neat and trimmed, in compliance with uniform standards.
  • We train in a class environment. Once a Candidate is selected from the in-person interview, they are then placed in a class date with several other new Flight Attendants.

Unfortunately, we are not currently accepting applications for the Flight Attendant position. However, we encourage you to visit our Careers site and join our Talent Community to receive job alerts and updates. You might also be interested in looking at a Customer Service Agent position, which works directly out of the airport. Best of luck!

Kelby
Southwest Careers

James94525
Adventurer C

Thank you Kelby. That is very helpful. I am looking everyday. I really love the team/family attitude with Southwest employees and the love of what they are doing. Thank you for reaching out, maybe one.day we will meet as fellow employees.

Sanguenetta
Adventurer C
Solution

Hi James,

I love your confidence😄 I qas fortunate enough to be one if the oldest students in my Flight Attendant Program at Glendale Community College but I became the lead. All the students in my graduating class looked to me as a team leader. I say that to say your passion for the job will take you a long way. Learn your Airport/Airline Codes. Get CPR/FIRST AID/ AED Certification . I will share with you all I learned cause I love your spirit. Good Luck

James94525
Adventurer C

Thank you Sanguenetta.

Where might I find those codes? I had looked into  CPR/FIRST AID/ AED Certification in the past, so time I get that part done. I drive a lot of flight attendants from several airlines with Lyft and received a lot of encouragement. Southwest is my only choice, they do it the best and I want to go with a winner. 

Thank you again