Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight Attendant

tomyoung
Explorer C

Hi, my name is Tom Young, I am 52,  and live in Boise. Many years ago I was a flight attendant for Alaska Airlines. It was the best job I have ever had, I love people and it was an amazing experience. At that time in my life, with young kids, it just didn't fit my life and it was very tough to give up. Today I have a very free schedule, kids are out of college, I own a small business that carries on without me, and while I am not rich I am not living hand to mouth. I will sell that business soon and would love to spend the rest of my working years as a flight attendant.  Southwest is without a doubt my favorite airline, in fact we are going to Maui next week on Southwest. I spoke with a friend who is a Southwest flight attendant and she gave me the impression Southwest is always looking for flight attendants. I know this is a slow process and I have to be patient. That said, I want to make sure I am not missing any opportunities. My first question is, is the careers.southwestair.com the only place I should look and keep checking back to see if Southwest is hiring for Flight Attendants? I don't see any openings currently.  I live in Boise and I suspect taking a job in customer service anywhere here might be a good step toward becoming a flight attendant? Is that a recommended first step, or is it wiser to wait for an opening as a flight attendant?  Thank you to anyone who can help! Tom

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Flight Attendant

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hi.

If you really want to be an FA, that's what you should shoot for.

Right now SW is down 70 planes due to the Max grounding. I suspect SW will be adding a LOT of FAs when the grounding gets lifted -  maybe in advance of that of that so the MAXs will have crews as the enter the feet.

Depending on how long he grounding lasts, the shotage may be a couple of dozen more aircraft than 70.

Good luck. Always shoot for your dreams

Shondabbrown
Adventurer C

Be sure to check everyday online Southwest airlines is always looking for friendly hearts♥️💙💛l wish you much success try all jobs.

bmckeel
Explorer C

I have made a career decision to apply for a FA position as soon as jobs become available. I live 1.5 hours from Raleigh, NC. Would I be able to use Raleigh, NC as my home base if fortunate enough to be hired?

Thanks,

Belinda

Shondabbrown
Adventurer C

Not sure but we can find out!!! It seems like you could based on where you are hired at.

bethmotsch
Explorer C

Hi Tom.  You and I are very similar beings.  I also was a former Flight Attendant for another airline.  I sadly resigned from the best job in the world, as my husband got deployed to Iraq.  I had 2 small children and things became very tough.  Both my children have now grown and become private pilots now.  They have moved on and after holding many jobs, none of which made me happy, I now know for sure I am ready to head back to the friendly skies.  I love Southwest because they are such a personable airline.  They enjoy their customers and co-workers.  They are part of many great organizations.  I am a fun, happy go lucky person and would like nothing more to fit in with the Southwest Family.  I loved being a Flight Attendant. I love the challenges and the constant changes from day to day.  I can't sit at a desk.  I am waiting also for Southwest to open up some positions for Flight Attendants.  I wish all those wishing to fly, the best of luck.  There is no other job like this one in the world!!!

Beth