Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Interview Phone Call-Has this happened to You?

Kbroderick9
Explorer C

I was contacted by a recruiter asking if I was I interested in FA position that I submitted awhile back?  I informed her that I was and I had 5 business days to submit updated application via a link from SW and I would get a call setting up a phone interview, if interested. . After spending several hours revising my resume and updating my references, I submitted my application. I was also advised by the recruiter to send her a email once I submit application, which I did. I also included in my email to her that I am unable to accept calls at work. I would only be able to accept calls on Thursday & Friday’s. The day after submitting my application which was Tuesday, while I was at work, I happen to have voicemail from SW stating because I didn’t answer my phone they were unable to set me up for a phone interview and that I was removed from consideration for the position. What is going on SW? I can’t call back and reschedule? 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Interview Phone Call-Has this happened to You?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Ouch, that would be very unfortunate if you're only given the one chance to take the call. Have you been able to get back in touch with the recruiter? Hope you can get back in the queue!

--TheMiddleSeat

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@Kbroderick9  Sorry to hear that you missed the call. I have actually experienced this situation myself, but I was the recruiter not the hopeful applicant. Unfortunately when you apply for a position, you have to make yourself available and try to avoid limited availability for an interview. You are the one looking for a new role, not SWA. I'm sure SWA tried to work with your limited window, but more than likely had other candidates to call. My advice for next time is to be upfront with your current employer and tell them you are expecting a call and that you have to take it. The applicant needs to do all the work to get hired, not the other way around. 

I hope next time the situation turns out differently for you. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

Kbroderick9
Explorer C

I agree that ANY appointment you have you need to adjust your life to accommodate it. After that I disagree 100%! I would NEVER ask my employer to accommodate me with a non emergency phone call that could potentially take 45 minutes to complete. While I am at work, I am completely committed to my job. My employer, coworkers and the public, aka the person in front of me are the most important thing to me. I believe taking personal phone calls at work is unprofessional and insensitive to the needs of my place of work. This is why I choose to only accept personal calls on my days off. So sorry SWA, TBNT. I will no longer look to your company for employment. I will purse other airlines that share the same professional/personal beliefs & values that I do.

Meljohn
Explorer B

Adjust for an unscheduled interview call which may never arrive?  How lomg should she sit there waiting for that call while missing time from her current employer?  Your beliefs seem unfathomable to me.  I must work for a living!  

jksobonya
Aviator A

Looking for a job is fun (not). I've always wondered how people actively look for another job while employed and are working full time. That's a skill I don't possess, and I don't think many do, which is why so many are stuck in jobs that they don't like. They don't know how to look for a job while employed and are too scared to just quit their job with no other job on the horizon. 

It's different when you are between jobs though. Then you have all the time in the world to look for employment and you are essentially available 24/7 for interviews. I have been there!

--Jessica

Passenger1C
Aviator C

Strong applicants need to display integrity and honesty at all times with their current and hopeful employer. These characteristics say alot about ones work ethic and professionalism.  If you are not having open and meaningful conversations about your career path with your current employer/ leader, you are not giving them the opportunity to be supportive of you. From my experience, most employees who have good relationships with their employer would not have an issue with a short phone call while at work. The current employer might not be thrilled with losing a great employee, but certainly should not be a road block.

Side note...I work for a large company that like SWA always has hundreds of applicants for one position. When I am looking to hire new employees, I research their social media accounts and the tone of what's being posted. If a potential employee posts on a discussion board and I perceive that one is coming across as playing the blame game against a recruiter or my company, it's a red flag that the applicant  will not be moving forward in the hiring process. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@Kbroderick9 , I know, I know, I had a bad experience with the recruiter back then. Insenstive peoples (Recruiters). I wouldn't hestiate try to call them again.