Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pilot hiring

joeandjen17
Explorer C

Hello to the forum, 

I am getting ready to make a job change and want to getting any insight if this would be a good step or not in becoming employed as a Southwest pilot. A quick background on me is originally a helicopter pilot started in 2001. 5000ish hours in helicopters multiengine. Flying for Compass airline in the E-175 currently with about 900 hours. (Only about 1300 total fixed wing) Compass has a very unsure future currently.

Basically looking at going over to Netjets for the increase in pay to try and manage the debt of airplane school and 1 1/2 years at regional FO pay. Not sure if this is a bad move as I wont see any PIC time for a long long while with Netjets. 

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Joe

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Pilot hiring

SWDigits
Aviator A

I served in the Navy but did not pursue an airline career and I'm also fairly active here on the discussion forums.   Based on my observations  most of the folks here are customers so I'm guessing that you'll get better traction with your questions on one of the external pilot specific discussion boards.  You may also want to try to leverage your personal network to connect with others.

One final thought is that there are two career pages for prospective Southwest First Officers and they include detailed minimum qualifications.  If Southwest is your goal then be sure to keep the requirements in mind:

https://careers.southwestair.com/pilots

https://swa.pilotcredentials.com/

Customer | Home airport DCA

joeandjen17
Explorer C

Thanks for the input. I wasn’t sure if this was a career/hiring board or customer forum. I do appreciate the response. 

SWDigits
Aviator A

It's strange to me that one of the Southwest pilot hiring pages I listed includes a link to these discussion forum boards to ask additional questions.  Maybe it will be a good resource going forward but right now it doesn't seem like a good fit for the handful of specific questions like yours that I've seen about qualifications and recommended path.

For that approach to work I think Southwest would need someone in the pilot hiring process to jump in and participate in the forums.

Good luck on your career journey!

Customer | Home airport DCA