Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Generations Apart

blusk
Aviator C

Do the terms Traditionalist, Baby Boomer, Generation X, and Millennials mean anything to you?  These are the four generations of Employees working at Southwest Airlines, and each them have a different way of looking at the world, their work, and their relationships.  Our University for  People presented a unique and funny skit they have prepared for our folks to us to help us span these generational gaps.  Here are some quick examples of those gaps:

The Traditionalists were born before 1945.  They prefer the written word and value stability. Think big bands and Casablanca.

Baby Boomers (okay that includes me) were born between 1946 and 1964.  This generation coined the word "workaholic."   Boomers prefer face to face conversation.  Think The Beatles and The Godfather.

Generation X were born between betwen 1965 and 1980.  They work great either independently and in groups.  E-mail is their preferred communication.  Think Madonna and  The Breakfast Club.   

Millennials were born between 1980 and 2000.  They have always known computers and cell phones.  Their preferred communication method is  texting and they are multi-taskers.  Think Beyonce Lord of the Rings

2 Comments
joedal
Explorer A
Yes, I'm a Mellinnial. This is hilarious what your "people people" did!

Joseph M.

Dallas, Texas

Patrick8
Explorer C
Brian - It makes a lot of sense to categorize your employees into these types of groups. As a marketing communications graduate student, I'm curious to know if the company uses these type of generational groups when determining your marketing segementation strategy for your customers? I don't expect you to give up your marketing strategy just a simply yes or no if the groups come into play at all when marketing to customers. Thanks, Patrick