Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Keeping the Beat with Musicians On Call: Bringing the Healing Power of Music to Children's Bedsides

tgriffith
Employee
Employee

The following blog post was co-written by Tena Griffith and Debbie Wafford.

Last year, Southwest Airlines began a partnership with Musicians On Call, a nonprofit that brings live and recorded music to the bedsides of patients in healthcare facilities. Through our work together, we have hosted live performances at hospitals across the country that are also part of our Medical Transportation Grant Program.

The first performance of 2017 was at Vanderbilt University Medical Center with a special music performance from Broken Bow Recording Artist Brooke Eden. Next, Judah and the Lion played for patients at Children’s National Health System in Washington, D.C., and the final visit of the year took place at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, where patients enjoyed a performance from Nils Lofgren, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the E Street Band in 2014.

We’ve continued our support of Musicians On Call in 2018 by bringing three live performances to hospitals throughout this year. Our first performance took place at the Children’s Hospital of Colorado. Singer Brandon Ray performed for children in the hospital’s Ryan Seacrest Studio, as well as, in their hospital rooms, bringing the healing power of music to their bedsides. For our second visit, we hosted a visit with Barry Zito, a former professional baseball pitcher, who just released his first EP, “No Secrets,” at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital in San Francisco.

Check out the video below from Barry’s performance, and head to Southwest.fm to see other videos.

1 Comment
CorreiaL2fly
Explorer C

My Husband and I are both musicians and I can attest to the healing power of music. It does the Heart good medicine. Proverbs 17.....Sometimes words aren’t enough, music soothes the soul and reaches to the depths of our hearts when nothing and no one else can.  Love that Southwest Airlines see the value in Music!💕