Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LAX at 30: Beach Cleanin' and Sun-Soakin'

mchun
Explorer C
On September 18, 1982, Southwest Airlines began service into Los Angeles International Airport.  It’s now 30 years later, and we’re still going strong! 

I won’t claim to be impartial, as I’ve spent my entire 19-year career at LAX, but it truly is a special place with an amazing, hardworking group of people.  Since this was such a milestone birthday, we felt multiple celebrations were definitely in order.

First, on Tuesday, our Culture Ambassadors organized a FUN, activity-filled day for our Employees and Customers.  Customers were offered complimentary coffee, pastries, and an assortment of candy in the gate area.  Employees were treated to a fabulous meal catered by L&L Hawaiian Barbecue, with delicious cakes and cupcakes for dessert.  In addition, there were massage therapists, a photo booth, and a DJ on hand to create the perfect environment to celebrate and reLAX (pun definitely intended). 

LAX Ramp

Then, on Wednesday, to show our Servants’ Hearts, we organized a beach cleanup with the environmental group Heal the Bay.  About a dozen of us went out to nearby Playa del Rey, and while our red bellies were taking off in the skies overhead, we did our best to make the beach more pleasant and safe for beachgoers and the local wildlife.

Lastly, on Thursday, we held a SWA LAX Family Reunion at legendary local watering hole, The Bar Melody.  As you can imagine, after 30 years, LAX has seen hundreds of Employees come and go.  We felt it was time to revisit the past, so we invited all current and former LAX Employees to get together for happy hour.  What started as a simple idea, turned into an overwhelming experience.  More than100 SWA LAX Family members gathered from all over  California and beyond—SNA, SAN, BUR, LAS, PHX, ELP, BOS, and even Hawaii—to share some memories, tons of laughs, and maybe even a few drinks. 

More pictures can be seen on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/swa.lax.