Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest: The Magazine's Reinvention of the American Drive-In

JayHeinrichs
Adventurer B
FB-cover I never thought I’d have a bucket list of movie venues. Not movies, but the places you see movies. But then, when we started work on this month’s issue, that list presented itself. I mean, seeing Jaws in an inner tube? While fake sharks swim around? I’m in, literally. Or catching a flick on an aircraft carrier, a stone’s throw from midtown Manhattan? Or at the spectacular Red Rocks Amphitheatre? And that’s only a few that our staff uncovered. This issue got its start when Jim Collins, author of The Last Best League, offered a story on the Fairlee Drive-In and motel in Vermont. As a New Hampshirite, I’d been to this great old place, where the family who owns it serves hamburgers made from the Black Angus cows that roam their land. The Fairlee was being threatened by a new wave of technology in the form of expensive digital projectors, a requirement for showing first-run films. So the family resorted to technology for an answer: They did a fundraising campaign on Kickstarter. And it’s not just the old drive-ins that are surviving. New ones are springing up, along with novel new ways to see films. But that’s enough talk—now, for your feature presentation… Happy reading, Jay
1 Comment