Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Two Rings and a Rink: A Valentine's Day Wedding on Ice

aeliasen
Employee
Employee

The following post is from Mallory Culley 

Mallory and Landon were married on February 14th at the Southwest Rink at Skyline Park in downtown Denver.Mallory and Landon were married on February 14th at the Southwest Rink at Skyline Park in downtown Denver.

For Landon and me, it all began with one of the greatest love stories of all time—Romeo and Juliet—that we studied in our high school English class. We were living in Salt Lake City at the time, and quickly became friends. After graduation we managed to keep in touch, but remained just as friends.

A few years later, Landon found a tiny, three week old kitten and named her Zelda. She still had to be bottle fed and, though I had no idea she would eventually be mine, it was one of my favorite things to do. When I made the decision to move to colorful Colorado, Landon made sure to send me lots of pictures of the little Zelda, and I would occasionally call him from my dorm room after class. He was there for me on my 20th birthday and I kept him entertained with pictures of the 16th Street mall from my dorm room window.

Landon’s dad owns Arkade, a prominent snowboard magazine in Utah, so every year their family would travel to Denver for SIA, major snowboarding convention held in the area.  One January, after not seeing each other for more than two years, I met up with Landon at SIA and spent the next two days showing him around Denver—Denver Aquarium, Denver Art Museum, Pints Pub, Twist and Shout, and the Auraria campus­. It was only after exploring the city that has since become so special to us, that Landon and I realized the feelings we had for each other were more than friendly. The next few years were spent hopping between Utah and Colorado, with a painfully long seven month stretch of long-distance dating while I worked at Walt Disney World and he remained in Salt Lake City.

Landon and I have been best friends for seven years now. His tiny kitten Zelda has become our very vocal six year old cat who loves to cuddle and play with the newest addition to our family, a black cat named Spooky Black who we rescued from The Humane Society South Platte Valley in Littleton. As if by fate, I spend my days working as an adoption counselor for the Humane Society educating people on proper cat care, and Landon is a Produce Manager at Sprouts. We enjoy snowboarding together and dream of one day taking over Arkade. Over the years, Landon and I have attended concerts of our two favorite bands of all time together (Future Islands and Beach House) and discovered shared passions in toy hunting and collecting Disney memorabilia. I never thought I would find someone who loves Disney as much as I do, so it’s fitting that we will continue our very own epic love story in the happiest place on earth for our honeymoon(It will be Landon’s first time!).

wedding2.jpg

Most of all, we are both so excited to start our marriage in the city that helped bring us together, to tie the knot at center ice at the Southwest Rink at Skyline Park—it will be a truly memorable Valentine’s Day for us, and can’t wait to keep expanding our little kitty family!

“This bud of love, by summer’s ripening breath, may prove a beauteous flower when next we meet.”

– Juliet (Act II, Scene 2)