Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Curb side assistance for elderly drop off

Zeldazee
Explorer C

My 95 year old grandmother will be flying out of Chicago midway on Saturday. She's in good health, for her age and flies frequently with Southwest. Usually when she flies my husband will drop us off and drive around until I get her assistance inside. This time though I will be dropping her off at the curb. I will be solo with her. Is there any way I can get someone to meet us at the curb with a wheel chair?  And grab her luggage? She usually has a wheel chair ready for her inside but I cannot leave my car unattended at the curb drop off, and for me to park, walk with her from the garage to check in is way too far for her, with her luggage. Chicago isn't a very friendly airport so I'm asking in advance as to not get yelled when I get there. 

Thank you in advance for your response. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Curb side assistance for elderly drop off

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi

Try one of these.

when you arrival at the airport you need to inform a Southwest Airlines Agent or Skycap at your first point of contact, either at the Skycap podium or the ticket counter, if you need an airport wheelchair and/or assistance within the airport.

I would suggest you park at a hotel close by and try to use the free shuttle or take a cab.  You could also park in the long term lot at the airport and use the free shuttle.

Good luck! 

Zeldazee
Explorer C

I don't think you understood my problem. I'm not going, just my grandmother, hence the curb side drop off. She cannot walk a distance without help not to mention 2 suit cases and a carry one. Someone will be waiting inside for her but it's that time between pulling up to the curb and getting her inside. Her taking a shuttle is out of the question.  If I leave my car unattended for 5 minutes I'm afraid it will get towed. Any other recommendations?

franktravel
Aviator B

Sorry!  My suggestion was that you go with her and then go back and get your car.  Or just pull up and tell the cop what you need to do. Good luck!

robson_g
Explorer C
Solution

Here is what I do for my 91 year old mother.

Use a skycap outside the terminal to make arrangement for your elderly traveler. I suggest that even if you are not traveling that you accompany your traveler to the gate. The skycap can get you a gate pass to take your traverler through security even if you are not traveling. This is a service of southwest.

Have the skycap take your traveler inside and wait for you to park car and return. The skycap should be able to get you a gate pass and everything, they make it very easy (and please tip them well for the service).

You then can take your traverler to the gate in the wheelchair yourself without any problems. I do this all the time at my local airport so believe it should work for you.