Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards being taken away

Mil2018
Explorer C

I am writing to express my disappointment with Southwest. I have flown Southwest for personal and business for way over 20+ years. Yesterday I discovered that Southwest had taken away all of my rapid rewards points which I earned from flying. This is horrible and outrageous as flying is not as easy these days as it was when I first started and now you took away my one perk that I had without notification. Points should never be taken away unless the customer choose to cancel an account. Travel is hard enough and some of us look forward to the points that we have earned, thus giving us some leisure travel.

I see that loyalty means nothing to the airlines, which is disheartening. Please add my points back to my account (89,000 points

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Rapid Rewards being taken away

KimVanderKley
Frequent Flyer C

When did you last have activity in your account?

@16fseataFFBK

brendabean
Adventurer C

This happened to a friend of mine too. She didn't have any activity for over 24 months. This may be the reason for your loss of points too. 

Southwest RR Rewards Activity 

Flyingforfun
Explorer A

I am perplexed that you allowed your point balance to accrue so high without using some points to fly. The terms state that if there is no flight activity within 24 months points can be dropped. Sorry you were not aware of that stipulation.

Mil2018
Explorer C

I f you knew my situation you would understand why I have not flown. Do not pass judgement on situations that you do not know.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

It's none of our business, we're just saying it would have been easier to have some activity on your account prior to the expiration which includes other ways to earn points than only by flying, as opposed to asking for re-instatement.

Anyway - this forum is user to user, so no one here can reinstate your points. Your best bet will be to call customer service or reach out via twitter and they'll ask you to DM some details. It's not their business why you haven't flown either, but if it is something you want to share with them maybe it will help justify a special exception.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

wrote:

I am perplexed that you allowed your point balance to accrue so high without using some points to fly. The terms state that if there is no flight activity within 24 months points can be dropped. Sorry you were not aware of that stipulation.

FYI: In order to keep points from expiring, you must have point earning activity within 24 months. Using points to fly will not qualify to keep your account open and your points alive.

It won't be help to you now, but there are many ways to earn points without flying (Rapid Rewards Shopping or Dining and partner transactions for example).

Once your account is closed and points forfeited, they are gone. The only way Southwest will reinstate if you can prove you had point earning activity that wasn't credited within the last 6 months. If so, reach out to Customer Relations. 

jakez
Explorer A

@chgoflyer

I know this is an old post but here is my 2 cents...

I don't think working with customer care will help either... I also lost my points, and I also proved I had qualifiing activity within 24 months they never gave me credit for, and they still would not reinstate my points...

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sorry -- you're right. I've corrected my post -- they will only reinstate if the unposted activity is from the last 6 months.

Sorry to hear you lost your points.