Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refused Preboarding

Grmama3
Explorer C

I'm a senior citizen and will be flying in a few weeks and wonder if I'll have the same problem getting a preboarding pass as I did about three years ago.  I had to fly out of Burbank where you have to climb stairs to enter the plane.  I explained to the woman at the desk that I'd had both knees replaced and had pain in my legs and would be very slow going up the stairs.  I told her I would delay others as I'd be very slow.  I even offered to show her my disabled placard I use in my car but she didn't care to see it.  She rudely said I couldn't have a pass and walked away.  So I had to pull my carry on bag up the stairs on legs that were quite painful. When I travel again in a few weeks I'm going to take along a walker that they'll have to store on the plane so maybe I'll be believed as I still suffer from painful legs and can't climb stairs.     

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Refused Preboarding

franktravel
Aviator B

All all you have to do is ask.... They can not say no and they can not ask why you need to pre-board

"Prior to general boarding, preboarding is available for Customers who have specific seating needs to accommodate a disability, and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft, and/or need to stow an assistive device. If you have a disability and require preboarding, you should request a Preboarding Document from the Customer Service Agent at your departure gate."

"The Preboarding Document serves as notification to our Operations (Boarding) Agent that you need to preboard. It's important to keep in mind those Customers who preboard may not occupy a seat on the emergency exit rows. Customers who have any other special needs related to boarding should speak with the Customer Service Agent at your departure gate."

"We realize that some Customers with disabilities require the assistance of the individuals they are traveling with, and we will allow a travel companion to act as an "attendant" and preboard with a Customer with a disability. In most cases, the Customer requires assistance from only one other person, and any additional family members or friends are asked to board with their assigned group. However, if a Customer needs assistance from more than one family member, then the Customer should be allowed the additional help."

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Grmama3,

We're excited to have you flying with us in a few weeks. I'm really sorry to hear about the experience you had in Burbank - that's definitely not in line with our philosophy about the way Customers should be treated. I want to reassure you that our Customers are typically met with friendliness and warmth when they show up to fly on Southwest Airlines.

If you are in need of a preboarding pass, all you need to do is speak with the Customer Service Agent at the gate and let them know that you require a little extra time to get situated on the plane. They will make sure you're given the appropriate document. Then, simply line up when the Operations Agent calls for preboarders. Hope you have a great trip, and thank you for taking time to post in the Community!

GusO
Explorer C

If this or any other problem happens, ask to speak with the Complaint Resolution Officer.  Every airline is required to have one available either in person or by phone.