Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

wheelchair in flight

cindydeters
Explorer C

I will be flying with my son who has cerebral palsy and is a manual wheelchair user. Is there any way that he would be able to stay in his chair during the flight? Or would there be airline personnel who could help me transport him into the front seat of the plane?

We have flown Southwest before and they have always been very accomodating but I am wondering about assistance if I am alone with him. 

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: wheelchair in flight

franktravel
Aviator B

Boarding (lift/transfer) assistance

For ease of transfer, the first two rows (at a minimum) on most of our aircraft are equipped with movable aisle armrests. Note: Our 737-800 Series aircraft do not have movable aisle armrests on the bulkhead (front) row of seats. However, all other rows on these aircraft have movable aisle armrests. We encourage the Customer being assisted to direct the Employees in how best to perform the lift and transfer.

A small wheelchair that can fit down the aircraft aisle is available at every gate and will be used if assistance is needed. Each gate is also equipped with a Passenger Transfer Kit (PTK), which contains a slide board and a transfer sling.

Re: wheelchair in flight

cindydeters
Explorer C

Thank you for your answer to my questions regarding my son's flying experience with a wheelchair. Most of my questions were answered but I would like to know if there is ever a possibility of him flying in his own wheelchair? This would be much easier than transfering him. Thank you for your time.