Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Christmas Flights sold out

howcomeur
Explorer C

How can all of the Late December wanna get away flights from Orlando to Pittsburgh be all sold out when you just put them on the website?  very frustrating.  Now we arent' going to travel for christmas.  

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Christmas Flights sold out

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @howcomeur,

December is a really popular travel month given the holiday seasons, but I'm sorry that you weren't able to snag a Wanna Get Away fare. Have you checked out our Anytime fares? They're a little more expensive but still a great deal and fully refundable. Our Low Fare Calendar will let you see the best fares available throughout the month, so if your dates are flexible that might be a good option too. 

mmpel
Explorer C

I googled and called Southwest in February to determine when Christmas flights would become availabel on SW. I was told May 18. I made a follow up call to determine the time of day the flights would be posted. I was told 6:00 am. I set an alarm on my phone for 5:30 am, May 18. I continually refreshed my browser on 2 PCs. When the flights did not appear, I called SW at 6:20am.  I was told sometimes there is a delay in the flights being posted. I continued to refresh my browser approx every 30 seconds. At approx 6:40 the "Wanna Get Away" flights were loaded and completely sold out for Providence to Orlando. I tried Boston/Orlando. I tried both departure cities flying to West Palm, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Ft Myers - all gone instantly. I checked San Juan, also gone. Leaving a day later didn't matter. How can this be? I called SW back at 6:45 am and sat on hold for 45 minutes. I eventually hung up because I had to go to work. My family will also not be traveling this Christmas despite what I thought was extreme pre-planning. Very disapppointing. 

franktravel
Aviator B

In 17 years of experience flying Southest Airlines I have found out that when flights first come out

the Wana Get Away fares may look sold out but what they are doing is trying to see how popular that flight is going to be.  When the seats don't sell they will open up the Wana Get Away fares a few months before the departure date.  My suggestion is check those flights everyday, you will be Surprised how much the price goes up and down.  

Good luck!