Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass & Random Flights

JnJRealtorsonSW
Explorer C

Hello All, 

As I began to embark on my usage of my Southwest Companion Pass I thought what better way to experience it with my Wife then to take a random flight each month? My thoughts are we will walk up to the terminal and ask for the next flight out. We will come prepared with a carryon that has something for all weather types and take advantage of 2 days in whatever city we go to. We will go live on our social media sites and bring everyone along with us during our random get-a-ways. My question to you all is, what should I be concerned about? Do you foresee any thing that might be a problem with doing this? I hope that this inpsires others and lastly I hope that it helps bring more love and quality time with my wife. Please share your thoughts!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Companion Pass & Random Flights

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As someone who enjoys traveling and  spontaneous activities I've often thought about doing something like this, strolling through the airport and deciding right then to hop on a random flight. Ultimately i've decided while spontaneity is fun, planning even just a little bit ahead of time can be very beneficial. Flight loads are quite high nowadays, you'd hate to find no flights available to get on or find yourself stuck in an airport all day waiting for two seats to open up. There's also the issue of boarding position. If you're buying last minute you wouldn't get automatic check in associated with A-List status or EarlyBird Check-In or even be able to check in manually at T-24. Yes, if you are A-List you could still board after A60. Price is also often significantly higher at the last minute, booking even just a week before could save you lots of $$ or RR points.

My advice? Do a little bit of planning, booking at least a week ahead of time. You can still explore random cities, truly randomizing by picking out of a hat or work across the country state by state or even alphabetically. Maybe factor in the weather? I personally have no interest in going to Buffalo in the middle of the winter.  Perhaps find a nationwide calendar of events you enjoy (BBQ festivals, knitting exhibitions, art shows, etc) and go to them across the country. I'm thinking about going to see various orchestras performance in random towns next year.  Tons of ways to approach this, all can be tons of fun. 

I'd love to hear more about your adventures if you decide to go so please post back. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Where is your home airport?

This strategy would be difficult at Midway for instance...you'll want to do some screening in advance for "next direct flight out that has WGA fares left and matches the climate that you've packed for" but sounds like a fun idea overall.

This would be very interesting in the "Stories" section of the community - see @LindseyD for more information on tips for what things to include about your trip.

I don't think it would be diminished at all if you booked ahead of time when there is a sale going on, it could be the "$100 flight of the month" or something instead of next available.

Plus your packing would be different if you were visiting Chicago next week compared to one of the international destinations.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ILV2fly
Adventurer C

As fun as that sounds, you’ll be stuck with high fares if you do that. You can still be spontaneous, but planning ahead and being flexible helps. For example, my fiancé found a flight from DAL to PHX for $42. It was one of the first flights out on a Saturday. We had flexibility so we returned from PHX to DAL on Monday night for $66. He found these tickets within two weeks of travel, maybe even just a week ahead of travel. Although it wasn’t as random as just showing up, we couldn’t pass up this “last minute” deal.

On a different trip, he found a one-way ticket from PIT to DAL for $39! Granted, it was an early flight on a Sunday, but well worth it. Again, he found this ticket within a week or two of travel.

We’ve also done some day trips with his pass. We’d leave on one of the first flights of the day and return on one of the last flights of the day. Those trips are fun but can be exhausting.

One tidbit I’d like to point out in case you don’t know - your wife can fly on your companion pass even when you use points!! My fiancé and I flew to San Juan, Puerto Rico for $22.40!!! He used points so both of us flew for taxes only!!

December 31st hasn’t happened yet, but I already know it will be one of the saddest days of the year because it’s our last day with his pass. We’ve enjoyed the extra memories made possible by that pass.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@JnJRealtorsonSW,

If you decide to do this, please let me know! I would love for you to write about your experience (or let us work with you to help tell your story) and share it on our social channels as well. I love this idea! What better way is there to share some quality time with your wife than flying the LUV Airline together!? 

Spontaneity for the win in 2018. 

KimVanderKley
Frequent Flyer C

Sounds luv ly

the next flight out might limit international flights perhaps consider "next" two hours

be mindful of the return flight

our household has two c-passes. We will follow your example with friends

thank you for your ask it shared the idea

thnx swa cpasses do allow us to purchase bclass and $ cost is half

@16fseataFFBK

KimVanderKley
Frequent Flyer C

If you can get a fklight with fa frank and Clancy. Do it!

@16fseataFFBK