Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Hawaii flights

Suejo56
Explorer C

I'm pleased to hear that releases that SWA will fly to Hawaii.  When will these flights start?  I want to book with SWA, but your flights may start too late:(

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Hawaii flights

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No schedule has been announced yet, they probably won't start until next year. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

No solid details announced, but most likely tickets on sale later this year for flights beginning in 2019.

Factus
Explorer C

I heard there were going to be flights in 2018. What’s up with that? There needs to be cheaper flights to Hawaii. I can’t imagine flying from anywhere other than the west coast. If you live in other parts of the country, the flights are outrageous!!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

We have not announced a schedule for Hawaii yet, but when we do, you can count on lots of fanfare and discussion in the forums! We'll make sure you know. 🙂

HeatherG1981
Explorer C

We have a trip planned for late September 2018.  Trying to hold out and see if SWA is going to fly yet or not.  It's looking like it most likely won't happen for 2018, but excited that the change is coming!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

There are quite a few hurtles before Southwest can begin service to Hawaii. And once they do, it will be very limited -- west coast (and possibly HOU and LAS) departures with not a lot of connections from other cities. Their reluctance to fly red eyes will be a huge negative factor. And I wouldn't expect fares to be "cheap." Other carriers basically own Hawaii and profit greatly from inter-island, which Southwest won't be doing. Demand (and Companion Pass usage) will keep Southwest fares from being discounted. It's an interesting venture, but I don't think it will be to the customers benefit at first, if ever (except for CP holder's). 

(These are just my opinions, I could be wrong. Time will tell.)

DavidKissinger
Explorer C

THe last posting by a Southwest employee on the matter of Hawaii flights was on 1/12/2018 - 9 MONTHS AGO.   These promises seem like a "carrot" on an infinite length "stick".   Maybe time to make other plans for travel. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DavidKissinger wrote:

THe last posting by a Southwest employee on the matter of Hawaii flights was on 1/12/2018 - 9 MONTHS AGO.   These promises seem like a "carrot" on an infinite length "stick".   Maybe time to make other plans for travel. 

Afternoon.

Well we know which destinations in Hawaii will be served, and we know which cities in California will be departure airports. We don't know when service will begin. Southwest is not in complete control of the answer to the question of "when". Why? Because the FAA must certify the planes and compny as being ETOPS (long distance over water) compliant. Nobdy knows when that will happen.

You can rest assured though that Southwest wants to start service to Hawaii as much as you want it to.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hi Mary. There's been lots of speculation about Hawaii. We know it is going to happen. We just don't know exactly when. That is due to the fact that the government needs to certify both the planes and the airline for long over water flights, and the government moves at it's own speed..

Anyway, here's the most recent speculation from Hawaii:

https://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-hawaii-airline-update/