Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Hawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

It has been long expected that when SW officially launches flights to HI, fares across the board will go down.  This has been referrred to as the Southwest Effect, and you can read all about it here.

MarketWatch published an interesting piece on the expected effect SW will have on HI fares here.

Finally, there are several posts over at BoaringArea.com today about slashed fares to HI from other airlines.  With SW's announcement likely coming soon, it is exciting to see how SW will change the market for HI travel!  Interesting and exciting stuff!

-A List, Companion Pass holder
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Hawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

FergusS
Explorer C

Can’t wait!!!

Akamai
Explorer C

Aloha-0e {(aloha-oye) Lesson one.} So glad to hear that if my regular airline is booked, I can use SW as a backup. Family members never visited us there because SW didn't fly there, even though several others did (PanAm, Delta,etc). So now they can look forward to paying the higher hotel rates compared to 37-38 years ago, when they could of had a free room. People don't let this be your reason for not going there.

Fellow Vets: Hale Koa (armed forces hotel) is for military and Civil Service Civilain retirees

100% disabled vet (even if not retired military)  may also stay there. Active Duty may also vacation there, all branches. As can incoming active duty, but go online and make reservations, months out or as soon as you get your orders! (HaleKoaHotel.com)

The Hale Koa (House of the Warrior) has opened up several floors of a renovate tower, so room are plentiful starting in mid May. People, this hotel requires reservations up to 364 days  ahead. 364 days ahead is the norm  for reservations here. (We normally go in Jan to Feb for a few weeks to catch the Pro Bowl, but no more pro bowl.)

I hope this will entice may to come to my second home and 'no be for shame to try speek da pidgeon tongue.'

Mahalo, Akamai (wise to da ways)

chgoflyer
Aviator A

While reduced fares to Hawaii, even if only temporary, are a good thing overall, the barrier to travel there for many is not the airfare cost, since fares have been relatively low for any years now. 

Lodging costs can be very expensive, and remain a significant issue for those wishing to visit the islands.

Hopefully, Southwest's entrance into the market will increase business to the point that hotels increase competition efforts by lowering their rates. 

Fingers crossed!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Lodging costs can be very expensive, and remain a significant issue for those wishing to visit the islands.

Hopefully, Southwest's entrance into the market will increase business to the point that hotels increase competition efforts by lowering their rates. 

I can't wait to see all the kinds of Spam!

It can be a pricey destination, all the better to save a few bucks on the airfare! At my company we've been there professionally although I haven't gone myself yet. I'll be more likely to push to get there if I can fly Southwest though.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Kipikala
Explorer C

We have also anxiously awaited SW's flights to Hawaii! We visit 2-4 times a year, and welcome the possible fare reductions from all airlines. I sympathize with concerns about expensive hotels, but there are other options, consider vacation rental condos! We own 2 oceanfront condos, on Kauai and Maui, with full kitchens. You can save $$'s by not having to eat all your meals out, and also have access to washer/dryers. Prices range from $155-$185 per night in regular season. Google Crystal and Jim's condos to see pics. I can't wait to book our first flight to Hawaii with Southwest!

S2B
Explorer C

Aaaaaauuuggghhhh!!  Hurry up SWA...Get me off this rock so I can visit some BIG CITIES!!  Don't get me wrong Hawaii is NOT ALCATRAZ!!  I am a Kamaaina Born and Raised, a "Keiki O ka Aina", and I love Hawaii, the people, the climate, the beaches, the food, etc.  But the price of Paradise is taking its toll on me. I would love to visit places in the continental US where I can get more for my money.  With SWA entering the market, hopefully that will open up more travel opportunities for us to get to the MAINLAND.

cerra12
Explorer C

Any update on whether pets will be allowed to fly to Hawaii in the cabin? We are planning on travelling the end of June with our 2 pugs.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@cerra12 wrote:

Any update on whether pets will be allowed to fly to Hawaii in the cabin? We are planning on travelling the end of June with our 2 pugs.

Nothing official has been announced yet.  Hawaii has strict quarantine laws, so it's generally not recommend to bring your pet with you on vacation there. There are also restrictions on service animals as well. 

I suspect Southwest will disallow pets from flights to Hawaii (but may allow them on interisland flights), but that's just my guess. More information from Southwest should be available once flights go on sale.

Here's a great reference:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/traveling-with-a-pet-to-hawaii-1533013

cerra12
Explorer C

I hope they do. We've been taking our pugs for the past 2 years and our only option is Alaska.