Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Ideas for Planning a Honey-moon Using Southwest?

manning3331
Explorer C

Hello,   My fiance and I are in the inital steps of planning a "mini-moon" after our wedding in August of 2019.  We have broader plans to go to Europe on an extended honey-moon in 2020, but wanted to take a few days off after the wedding next year to enjoy a tropical scene for some R & R.  This trip would ideally be about 4 or 5 days, and wouldn't break the bank, as we will be a little financially under-the-weather after paying for the wedding.  We are Southwest Rapid Rewards members, and would ideally like to travel using our points to somewhere in the Caribbean or Mexico.  Any ideas? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Ideas for Planning a Honey-moon Using Southwest?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

We did the same mini-moon concept several years ago, to San Francisco. I'm more of a dining and exploring person than beachfront relaxation.

We did use our points to fly to Cancun and enjoyed Riviera Maya and Tulum trips.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Ideas for Planning a Honey-moon Using Southwest?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Many of the all inclusive resorts in touristy areas of Mexico are fairly inexpensive per night if you factor in the typical cost of hotel, food, and drinks. It just depends what you would like to do on your vacation and how fancy of a place you are looking for. Depending where you are departing from, many Southwest flights to Mexico and the Caribbean are fairly short and may not require a layover. Look at non stop options on the Southwest route map (https://www.southwest.com/travel_center/routemap_dyn.html) or shortest flight options so that you don't spend all day on a plane instead of the beach.

Sadly, RR points can only be used for the flights, not the hotels. You can earn points on some hotels booked through southwest.com though.

Congratulations! 

--TheMiddleSeat