Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest to Hawaii?

mcmdkdd
Adventurer C

It’s getting closer to really happening.  I keep hoping that Southwest will fly out of Ontario (Ont) to Maui (OGG) 

It’s so much easier to get in and out of ONT (rather than LAX).  

Pre last recession Hawaiian Airlines used to fly nonstop from Ontario to Maui and it was great. 

Here's hoping that Southwest will add more service from ONT once they get approved 

Mrkmbb
Explorer C

Do we know if they are reconfiguring the planes to be more comfortable for the long flight to HNL? As much as I love SWA, the current leg room and padding on those seats may keep me from using them for a six-hour flight. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Mrkmbb wrote:

Do we know if they are reconfiguring the planes to be more comfortable for the long flight to HNL? As much as I love SWA, the current leg room and padding on those seats may keep me from using them for a six-hour flight. 

I don't know whether or not the aircraft will be reconfigured, but I would be surprised if they are.

It wouldn't make any sense because I don't believe the Hawaii aircraft will only be used on the Hawaii flights. Thus Southwest would need to modify a large subset of aircraft, something I think is unlikely. 

As it is, Southwest's aircraft provide more pitch (seat room) than those used by United, Delta, and American - comparing similar single aisle narrowbody aircraft.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@Mrkmbb

Good point! I am pretty sure the extra space for let is a good ideas. Think of Amtrack that provided the passenger lots of leg room! I have been a passenger of Amtrack for years providing me  a leg room a lots of love!!!!. Unfortunately for the aircraft like SWA and others, not enough of room for it. cramped and not enough of room for your leg is not good for blood circulating results in blood clots.