Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Tucson-What to see and eat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Someone recently asked me for a few suggestions for an upcoming trip to Tucson so I decided to put together a short post to share with everyone.  Everyone else is welcome to join in and post suggestions!

Tucson is a great place to spend a few days relaxing in the desert, the perfect place to warm up while the rest of the country is still chilly.  Be warned, it does get VERY HOT there in the summer so it's best to avoid June-August if you want to spend time outside.  The food scene is quite good with the local specialties being Sonoran Hot Dogs, Tamales, and any other Mexican food.  For hot dogs, El Güero Canelo is the longtime solid, reliable restaurant in town, but, if you want to be a little adventurous, go try one or more of the really tasty carts/stands that dot street corners throughout town.  El Perro Loco is one of the best, I've made multiple visits over the years!  Tucson Tamale Company has great tamales and once you're back home you can even get them shipped to you.  Sauce is a local pizza shop that I've enjoyed multiple times, and if you're like me, I always hit up In-n-Out when I'm in a city that has one so stop there on your way north into town from the airport.

In between meals, the Desert Museum is a gem, showcasing the local animals and plants.  Much more of a zoo than a museum, you can spend a good portion of a day here.  Best to go early before it gets too hot!  In the same part of town, take a drive (or hike if you're inclined) through Saguaro National Park, the Saguaro cactus are everywhere and make this area truly special.  I love the Tucson desert so much more than Phoenix, there's so much more to see.

I've been really eager to check out the Pima Air & Space Museum with the airplane boneyard next door.  I just haven't had a day to dedicate to this yet, but it looks amazing from the sky.  If you time it right, they have bus tours through the boneyard to see all the retired airplanes.

On my last trip I found a little oddity, The Mini Time Machine Museum of Miniatures.  It's certainly not for everyone, but I found it oddly fascinating.  If you or anyone else is a fan of miniatures the collection here is impressive.  I didn't stay too long, and certainly wouldn't be rushing to return, but like I said, oddly fascinating, especially for kids.

If you're looking to splurge on lodging, the Ritz-Carlton Dove Mountain is really wonderful.  Great for romantic getaways, but also lots of fun for kids!  It's a bit of a ways out of town so you'll find yourself driving a bit if you want to come and go.  The pools here will make you want to lay around and do nothing except perhaps watch the kids go down the water slide over and over.  I've also enjoyed stays at the Westin La Paloma, Embassy Suites, and the Hampton Inn & Suites near the Tucson Mall.

--TheMiddleSeat

1 REPLY 1

Re: Tucson-What to see and eat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I just remembered and wanted to add that the area is really into astronomy. The city regulates how much light there is at night, many areas don't have street lights, so the night sky is full of stars. If you're even the least bit curious about astronomy check out the many clubs and presentations that occur in town.

--TheMiddleSeat