Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

carbonn offsets for flying

Sal1
Explorer C

Hello, Southwest,

I don't know if this is the right place to post a suggestion for the company but I couldn't find anywhere else.  Tomorrow is the youth climate strike.  Across the globe, young people are striking to raise awareness that all of us need to do more to address the climate crisis.  I think Southwest airlines should

1. build an opportunity to pay a carbon offset for flying right into their book a flight website.

2. Offer customers the opportunity to use their points for carbon offset instead of discounts to airline tickets and hotels.  This would involve Southwest donating to  some organization that is working on climate initiatives when customers trade in their points.

Thanks for your time,

Sal1

5 REPLIES 5

Re: carbonn offsets for flying

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

@Sal1 @Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I appreciate your concern about the environment and thinking about ways SW could do more. 

To ensure your your ideas make it to the right people at SW, pls use the Contact Us link below and choose a method there to provide your ideas and feedback directly. This is a customer community forum. 

Stay green!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Thank you for the feedback @Sal1! We're committed to being a good corporate citizen and are always looking for ways to improve our environmental footprint. Through our fleet modernization program and other fuel savings initiatives, we have improved our carbon intensity 32.8% since 2005 (RTMs/gal).  One initiative that we have chosen not to participate in at this time is offering our Customers the ability to purchase carbon offsets from a third-party via our web site. We feel it is the responsibility of Southwest, not our Customers, to reduce our impact on the environment. If our Customers want to make a positive difference for our planet, we encourage them to make a difference in their communities and the environment by volunteering their time and supporting one of the charitable organizations or community projects we sponsor. To learn more about what we’re doing as a Company, check out southwestonereport.com/planet

Nicole
Community Manager

LynnS
Explorer C

SW, appreciate that you think it's SW's responsibility to reduce emissions. Can you share what you are doing? Are you buying carbon offsets? If not, why not make it easy for customers to buy? I looked at the page you mention and also found my way tohttps://southwestonereport.com/stories/greenhouse-gas-emissions/, but it isn't very clear. What are RPM, RTM, and ASM? Why is SW so far from the A4A goals now, when you were closer in 2010? I may be misreading the graph, but looks like the target is RPMs/gallon is increasing. This might be clearer if we could read the footnotes, but they aren't available online. 

Where can I get a copy of the full report?

Thanks for answering these questions. I love SW, fly way too much, and want to do something about my carbon footprint. 

Ibis
Explorer C

I fly SWA for business and am very interested in offsetting my carbon footprint.  I too do not understand aspects of the report and thus cannot understand specific steps SWA has taken to address reducing carbon emissions.  Specific info would be very hlepful.  Thank you. 

Farallon5
Explorer C

I agree, SWA should embrace high-quality carbon offsets and make them convenient to purchase, as well as be doing everything they can to become more efficient internally.

I'm trying to Feel the Love here.