Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

737-700 reservations

Nonstopluva
Explorer C

Reservations being taken for as late as March 2020 indicate the aircraft type to be 737-700.  But the site also claims that once I have the reservation, the eqipment could be changed........to a 737 Max, presumably.  That will trigger a cancellation/refund on my part and upset to travel plans.   I don't believe SW should change equipment once they've advertised a specific flight with specific 'features'--in this case, the type of aircraft.  (I suspect I'm one of many people that will not put myself at risk on a MAX until a heck of a lot of air miles in this aircraft have been realized. See you in 2024, maybe?!?!)

6 REPLIES 6

Re: 737-700 reservations

bec102896
Aviator A

Even before the MAX issues aircrafts are subject to change on all airlines due to operational needs. 

If the airline extends the cancellation for MAX flights though March and your equipment is changed to the MAX and cancelled then you would have the choice of the refund or you can choose any other flight that is available (within 14 days).

the airline takes a lot in to consideration before changing equipment and canceling flights some things that are considered are number of open seats and where might the aircraft be best used. 

Hope this helps!

Blake 

chrisdjenkins
Explorer C

The policy isn't the problem.  What if the plane was changed to a 737-800?  What if the plane had mechanical problems and they had to change the plane type?  The problem is you don't want to fly on a MAX 8.  That's your prerogative.  Personally, if the MAX 8 is approved to be placed back in service, I'd have no problem with flying on one.  But that's me.  You have to decide what's best for you but plane changes can and will happen whether they are MAX 8 related or not.

DarwinTrash
Explorer C

I fly Southwest about 8X a year.

I will not fly in any 737 MAX, regardless that it may inevitably be certified by a cowed, corrupted FAA.  

Today, emails were revealed from internal Boeing people saying THEY will not fly on this plane.

I will reserve only flights on other equipment.  If they change equipment to this plane I will cancel my flight at the airport check in.  Many flyers are saying the same thing.  Southwest better figure this out.  If I have to, I'll move to another airline like Alaska that has very few, if any, 737 MAX in inventory.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DarwinTrash 

If you want to avoid MAXs, then it is likely that Alaska won't be your airline of choice.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/customers/alaska-airlines/order-for-37-737-maxs-and-13-next-generat...

edit add: Upon return to service, the MAXs will be the most studied, and most evaluated  by the most countries type in the history of flying - and likely the safest plane in the air.

To each his own...

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It's unlikely that those who consider the MAX to be inherently aerodynamically unstable will be swayed by the approval of potentially suspect governing organizations. Unfortunately, the more the MAX is studied, the more additional issues come to light. And the more that is revealed, the more people mistrust the companies involved. The process is far from over, however, so it remains to be seen if potential fixes to hardware, software, and training will be adequate to assuage passengers' safety concerns.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Agree with @bec102896. All airlines reserve the right to change aircraft type. 

I think you will see alternative options for folks wanting to avoid the MAX from SW. Hopefully you can take advantage of those options.

-A List, Companion Pass holder