Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

ATL to MSP

mspflyer
Explorer C

I'm sad to see southwest has CANCELLED its service between ATL and MSP, two fairly major hubs. I understand decreasing the number of flights per day if demand is lagging, but eliminating the route altogether?!??

I would love to keep flying Southwest, but it's hard to justify foregoing the Delta non-stop options.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: ATL to MSP

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I have a feeling that since ATL and MSP are Delta hubs, Delta slashes prices where it may not be as feasible or profitable for SW to have that route as direct.  Airlines are constantly making adjustments to determine the best use of their fleet, staff, etc, and it is worth nothing that SW's point to point model is vastly different that Delta's hub and spoke model.

But I can definitely appreciate your concern.  If you would like to share your thoughts directly with SW (since this is a customer community), choose an option via the Contact Us link below.

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

There was just anothet post about DTW which is similar in comparison to MSP in regard to Southwest’s gates and Delta’s position.

My observation as an outsider, both MSP and DTW are nice feeder airports for Southwest and will support exiting Southwest customers to enter the system and reach those destinations.

in the meantime there must be more demand for people from those airports heading to Southwest’s hubs in MDW, DEN, BWI than direct flights to ATL.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Littlepizza
Explorer C

I completely agree. I actually sent in a complaint to SW.  I was a Delta Sky Priority guy for years and then switched to SW specifically because of the non stop between ATL and MSP.   They’ve now lost me as a customer.   I have tried Spirit Airlines although direct frequency can be an issue.  

suttond2
Explorer C

First, Delta matches SW's prices, then when SW leaves a market, MSP in this case, Delta raises prices.  I've been flying ValueJet... then AirTran... now SouthWest rather than Delta for decades.  I've seen this happen over and over.

SW PLEASE add back at least a few direct flights from ATL to MSP and back.  Going through Midway or St.Louis is not fun.  

Glad you are in the RDU market now though.  Don't have to fly Delta or United there any longer!

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@suttond2 wrote:

First, Delta matches SW's prices, then when SW leaves a market, MSP in this case, Delta raises prices.  I've been flying ValueJet... then AirTran... now SouthWest rather than Delta for decades.  I've seen this happen over and over.

SW PLEASE add back at least a few direct flights from ATL to MSP and back.  Going through Midway or St.Louis is not fun.  

Glad you are in the RDU market now though.  Don't have to fly Delta or United there any longer!

SW is short of planes. MAXs have been grounded and some lease planes are leaving the fleet by the end of the year.. That means that by 1/1/20 SW's fleet will be down over 10% from where it thought it would be. That in turn means the airline has to figure out how to best use the planes it does have. Thus some routes get cancelled. Maybe that will change when the MAX grounding is lifted.

Your post was to SW's customer to customer forum. I'd suggest that you submit your route suggestion directly to SW. Here's how to do so:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...