Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Acceptable Forms of Identification

DerekH
Employee
Employee

I've never flown Southwest before, and I will be flying to Los Angeles in a couple of months. What are the acceptable forms of identification that Southwest will accept to receive my boarding document?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Acceptable Forms of Identification

Sarahlaw
Explorer C

A Passport and United States drivers license works!

nataliefischer
Explorer C

Any type of government-issued identification is acceptable!

camatuse
Adventurer B
Solution

If you are flying from a domestic location, a government issued identification or Passport is alright to use. If you are flying from an international location, a Passport is required to enter the United States.

cindiforeman
Explorer C

If the driver's license is expired, will it be an acceptable form of ID? Renewing the driver's license is the reason for the flight.

Renaelipps
Explorer C

I also have a problem. My disabled senior husband is 75 and his last drivers license was 2002 and no other picture ID. He does not drive. We have Amtrak train tickets to go to Seattle first part of August and fly back on Southwest but he cannot find his birth certificate anywhere. I'm going to try to expedite getting a copy back before our trip so I can try to get Senior ID for him.  I'm worried if it doesn't come in time for trip what else would be acceptable. He only has that long expired drivers license with his picture although has aged quite a bit since then. We've only been married five years and I can see some dementia problems esp. putting important papers away and can't find them. Please need suggestions. He's not well and this will be only trip we can make to see his daughter and 2-yr old  granddaughter that he has never seen in person.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you are not checking any baggage you don't actually need identification to fly domestically. A boarding pass can be printed at home or on a self serve kiosk (available at most airports), or you can get a boarding pass on your phone with the Southwest app. 

At the TSA security screening area you will need to go through an additional level of questioning. More information about that and a list of acceptable forms of identification can be found here: https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2016/03/03/asktsa-travel-tips-over-140-characters-can-i-fly-without-id-what...

If you need to check a bag you will need to present identification at the check-in counter. 

Renaelipps
Explorer C

Thanks so much for suggestions!