Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Book with travel funds in mobile app

hookem2001
Explorer C

Sorry if this has been answered — I can’t seem to find a thread about it. 

I am trying to book travel on my phone. I gave a voucher and travel funds that I would like to go towards the cost of my ticket but I can’t find where to add it on the Southwest mobile app. It only has credit card, PayPal, debit card as options. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Book with travel funds in mobile app

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@hookem2001 

Unfortunately vouchers and travel funds can’t be applied to a reservation booked on the mobile app or mobile site. 

To use the voucher and travel funds you would need to visit the full southwest website or you can book over the phone at 800-435-9792. 

Hope this helps 

Blake 

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Just to add in, when you do get in touch, be sure to request the feature to add vouchers via the mobile app/site. You can also mention it here: https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html.

Also, if you opt not to use the voucher this time around, just remember they expire one year since issued. That means, if you cancelled a flight on January 3, 2018, and now have $100 credit, you'll have one year to use it. After that year, these funds cannot be recovered.

Have a safe flight!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@ZevSupport wrote:

Also, if you opt not to use the voucher this time around, just remember they expire one year since issued. That means, if you cancelled a flight on January 3, 2018, and now have $100 credit, you'll have one year to use it. After that year, these funds cannot be recovered.

Just in case it's not clear:

Travel Funds and Vouchers are two different things.

Travel Funds come from a cancelled or changed flight.

Vouchers are issued by Southwest, most commonly as goodwill gestures.

Travel Funds generally expire one year from the date the original flight was purchased. All travel must be completed (not just booked) by the expiration date. They are usable only by the original passenger and cover airfare and any taxes & fees. If applied to a new flight, all funds for that new flight take on the earliest expiration date of any funds applied.

Travel Fund expiration dates cannot be extended. However Southwest may, as a goodwill gesture, reissue expired funds as a Voucher for a fee that's currently $100 (deducted from the funds balance). Requests must be made within 6 months from date of expiration, and the voucher will be valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Vouchers expire 6 months or one year from the date of issue. All travel must be completed (not just booked) by the expiration date. They are usable by anyone (not just the person named on the Voucher) and cover airfare only (no taxes & fees). If applied to a new flight, all funds for that new flight take on the earliest expiration date of any Vouchers applied.

Voucher expiration dates cannot be extended, and vouchers are generally not reissued (except in very special circumstances).

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

@ZevSupport wrote:

Just in case it's not clear:

Travel Funds and Vouchers are two different things.

Travel Funds come from a cancelled or changed flight.

Vouchers are issued by Southwest, most commonly as goodwill gestures.

Travel Funds generally expire one year from the date the original flight was purchased. All travel must be completed (not just booked) by the expiration date. They are usable only by the original passenger and cover airfare and any taxes & fees. If applied to a new flight, all funds for that new flight take on the earliest expiration date of any funds applied.

Travel Fund expiration dates cannot be extended. However Southwest may, as a goodwill gesture, reissue expired funds as a Voucher for a fee that's currently $100 (deducted from the funds balance). Requests must be made within 6 months from date of expiration, and the voucher will be valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Vouchers expire 6 months or one year from the date of issue. All travel must be completed (not just booked) by the expiration date. They are usable by anyone (not just the person named on the Voucher) and cover airfare only (no taxes & fees). If applied to a new flight, all funds for that new flight take on the earliest expiration date of any Vouchers applied.

Voucher expiration dates cannot be extended, and vouchers are generally not reissued (except in very special circumstances).

To bring it full circle, if you book a flight with vouchers (aka LUV) and then cancel that flight, you'll be issued a travel fund. Even a refundable fare will become a travel fund since they doin't refund back into a new voucher. I'm unsure how the travel fund expiration would be determined in that case.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

To bring it full circle, if you book a flight with vouchers (aka LUV) and then cancel that flight, you'll be issued a travel fund. Even a refundable fare will become a travel fund since they doin't refund back into a new voucher. I'm unsure how the travel fund expiration would be determined in that case.

Travel Funds come from a cancelled or changed flight. If applied to a new flight, all funds for that new flight take on the earliest expiration date of any funds applied.

On Refundable Fares (Business Select, Anytime, Senior, Child, etc.), the balance from Travel Funds or Vouchers applied will become Travel Funds. Any new money from a credit card can be refunded back to the card account by contacting Customer Relations.