Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booking one-way flight with connection as multi-city?

fungible
Explorer C

Hello, I'm trying to fly from BOS to LAX.

I found a flight with a connection in MDW, but I discovered that it is actually cheaper to book the two segments (BOS-MDW and MDW-LAX) separately. I'm wondering if there is any risk in booking these two flights under a multi-city itinerary?

For example, in the past, when I had a flight with connections and one of the flight segments was delayed or cancelled, I was able to be rebooked on another flight to my destination for free. If a cancellation or delay happens, would I not be able to be rerouted for free under the multi-city booking?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Booking one-way flight with connection as multi-city?

bec102896
Aviator A

@fungible

If Both flights are on the same confirmation number then you should be covered however it may not let you book them together because it may be different fare classes which won't combine because southwest tries to stop point to point bookings on the same day which is what that type of reservation would be seems like they want you to have at least 4 hours between flights when I have tried to book this way in recent months. 

If you have to book it as 2 one ways then odds are you won't be covered just based off of what I was told by reservations agents on the phone In the past. Luckily for me I haven't had any issues when i have booked 2 one ways to get to where I am going so I can't say for sure if I would be covered or not as I haven't had that issue. 

Its also important to know if you book 2 one ways you will have to check you bags twice and on some point to point reservations they might make you check bags again so if your checking bags be careful so your bag isn't left behind on your layover 

Hope this helps

Blake 

Re: Booking one-way flight with connection as multi-city?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@fungible wrote:

Hello, I'm trying to fly from BOS to LAX.

I found a flight with a connection in MDW, but I discovered that it is actually cheaper to book the two segments (BOS-MDW and MDW-LAX) separately. I'm wondering if there is any risk in booking these two flights under a multi-city itinerary?

For example, in the past, when I had a flight with connections and one of the flight segments was delayed or cancelled, I was able to be rebooked on another flight to my destination for free. If a cancellation or delay happens, would I not be able to be rerouted for free under the multi-city booking?

I'm speculating a little bit, in combination with @bec102896's reply - Southwest won't want you to assemble a multiple city path when a packaged option is available. Them having a four-hour restriction migth accomplish a couple of things:

• Keeps people from optimizaing a few bucks on multiple one-ways where a published connection exists.
  • Protects the flyer by providing re-booking for irregular operations where the separate one-ways might be re-booked with discretion of the gate agent, but don't seem to be obligated to be rebooked.
  • Protects flyers that don't realize they may need to re-check baggage etc. - for a saavy flyer it might be fine, but they don't want people to accidentally do this and have a problem on the day of travel that could have been prevented.

So anyway for your question - how much does it save, and I expect that it isn't using exactly the same flights as the published connection? I don't think this is worth it over less then $50 personally unless you plan to actually do something in Chicago for a few hours - the risk of a flight schedule hiccup becomes yours to some degree instead of Southwest's. (Especially at Midway, depending when the trip is weather could be a risk.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.