Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can someone elaborate a little on "One stop, no plane change"

nickinoshkosh
Explorer C

Every Southwest flight I've taken to date has been a non-stop flight. Now I'm taking a business trip in two weeks from MKE to SJC. My outbound flight is "One stop, no plane change" at LAX (Thanks Southwest, that aiport sucks!).

My question is: what does this exactly mean? Do I just sit on the plane while it stops at LAX and people get on/off the plane? Do I get off too and have to re-board with a different boarding group? How exactly does this work?

My return flight is "One stop with plane change" at SAN. With other airlines I would have an assigned seat, but what happens here when I change planes? Do I have another boarding pass with another boarding group?

Thanks for any advice you all have!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can someone elaborate a little on "One stop, no plane change"

franktravel
Aviator B

On the no change of plane you stay on and don't get off.   When you check in 24 hrs before your first flight and it has a connection and it's on the same reservation number it checks you in for both.  You will then print out two different boarding passes for your flights.

Good luck!!

Haipham2017
Adventurer B

@franktravel wrote:

On the no change of plane you stay on and don't get off.   When you check in 24 hrs before your first flight and it has a connection and it's on the same reservation number it checks you in for both.  You will then print out two different boarding passes for your flights.

Good luck!!

For one stop no plane change you only get one boarding pass. Depend on how long you have to wait at the stop. First you have to wait for all passengers get out the plane and then the flight attendant will count number people stay at the plane for the next flight to make sure it matched with their record. If the next flight is long enough, you can ask them for get out the airplane after she counts number of people stay. You also can move up your seat and remember to move your carry on to and they may not let you sit in the first row if there are enough disable passenger and their companions. They will  mark you when you get out the plane and you should come back to the plane before boarding and you just walk straight to the gate and tell her/him your name and you may have to show ID.

I love to fly non-stop, stop no plane changed since you check in luggage does not have to transfer to another plane.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

Fortunately you shouldn't have to see LAX other than through the plane window. You should get an opportunity to change seat locations once the flight attendants count the "through" passengers. Only if there are delays you may be offered a chance to deplane and reboard. You'll have one boarding pass.

As was pointed out in the other response, you will have two separate boarding passes for the return flight. When you check in for the first flight you will automatically check in for the second flight as well which may help improve your boarding position since you get a head start on the 24-hour check-ins. (Depending on number of A-list and early birds on that leg.) The only thing to watch for is time between connections since you will be changing planes, but if I recall correctly all the Southwest gates at SAN are close (very close) together so as long as you have 30 minutes you should be okay.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chris535355
Explorer B

Hello,

Many of the previous responses hit it spot on. I would love to add however that as long as there is at least 30 minutes before the next flight starts boarding the Flight Crew would LOVE if you got off. They cannot exit the aircraft if passengers stay on. But if all passengers continuing on get off they are also able to get off and get food. So if time permits I highly recommend getting off. They have to get a head count before. As far as boarding passes go I have had it both ways. One time I only had one boarding pass so they checked my ID against the flight itinerary and that’s how I boarded again (Before they started actually boarding) and another time I had a second boarding pass. I do recommend getting the perfect seat prior to getting off though. Hope this helps!

Enjoy your flight 🙂