Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Cancellation Refunds

SWDigits
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Or, I could be completely wrong and the financial hit carriers are taking becomes so large that it precludes any sort of customer accommodations beyond published policy.

^^^ This, at least for the airlines that don't shut down ^^^

United is on their fourth cancellation policy for the week and the terms are still unbelievable.  They are doing everything possible to hold on to cash.

Customer | Home airport DCA

SWDigits
Aviator A

Here is a third party blog post about the multiple United policies:

https://onemileatatime.com/united-airlines-refund-one-year/

Customer | Home airport DCA

jksobonya
Aviator A

@AnnaSF wrote:

So I requested a refund and was sent an email stating that only the ticketed person can use the travel funds. I am a Rapid Rewards member and was always under the impression that if you canceled up to 24 hours prior to flying that you could get your full refund. All the TV ads lead us to believe this yet, I am reading that only he can use the travel funds. Heck, I understand the airlines losing big but, even if I don't get a refund then at least let me convert the paid ticket to Rapid Reward points so I can use at a later date as I am always flying Southwest.

If you purchased a Wanna Get Away fare they are non-refundable. If you cancel, the funds are given to you as a travel credit which can be used with 1 year of date of booking (not date of travel). If you cancel your reservation 24 hours before you fly, you do not get a refund. You might be confused with the policy that you -can- get a full refund within 24 hours of initially booking your flight. It is not 24 hours before you fly. 

Hopefully that is clear. 

Also, only the ticketed passenger can use the travel funds if you cancel the flight. 

—Jessica