Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancellations & Early Bird Check-In Fees

CMR13
Explorer C

I have a trip out of Chicago Midway to Arizona on April 13, 2020, and Marriott has contacted us strongly suggesting that we cancel our travel plans.  We have a family traveling and paid the early bird check-in fee on each leg of our flight.  Will we receive a refund or travel credit for these funds?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Cancellations & Early Bird Check-In Fees

bec102896
Aviator A

Early Bird check in is non refundable. If you cancel your flight you will lose the value from the Early Bird no refund or travel fund. 

You could keep the reservation and if southwest cancels your flight you could then request a refund of the Early Bird. You could also change the reservation to a later date and you would still keep the Early Bird check in. 

-Blake

currency245
Explorer C

Southwest, during this Pandemic and Emergency, should waive the rule of no refunds for Early Bird check in, its not our fault we are not able to travel due to COVID-19? 

Southwest should refund, via Travel Credit for future travel, the Early bid fees. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Southwest, like all airlines around the world, is trying to survive right now. The terms were clearly laid out when you purchased EBCI. They are losing much more than you, and I suggest it is unfair that you expect them to make an exception in this regard. It isn't your fault, but it isn't their fault either. Honestly, EBCI is a relatively small amount, and they are just playing by clearly state and fair rules.

If you are handicapped and thus have special needs, you do not need to do EBCI. The correct thing to do in that case is to request pre-boarding at the airport.

CMR13
Explorer C

I was looking for a factual response on the policy in light of the situation.  Many businesses are making exceptions to their policies in these unprecedented times. You don't know me, my personal financial situation or health status and have no idea how much I am "losing" or the impact this is having on my or my family.    

dfwskier
Aviator A

@CMR13 wrote:

I was looking for a factual response on the policy in light of the situation.  Many businesses are making exceptions to their policies in these unprecedented times. You don't know me, my personal financial situation or health status and have no idea how much I am "losing" or the impact this is having on my or my family.    

You are not responsible for the virus, and neither is Southwest.

How would you feel if SW paid refunds to all people and then went bankrupt resulting in the loss of say 100,000 jobs?.

If you were an airline exec, would you be willing to do that?

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Okay. Factual information: they are not making any exceptions for EBCI fee refunds. I agree with them. 

Famdangocruiser
Explorer C

So what you're saying is it's OK for the exec's to line their pockets in good times, and steal from customers in the name of jobs when times get tough.   

( I'm not asking for anything more than honoring their own policy, which says no refunds if I cancel, but refunds if they cancel.  Instead of a refund, they booked me on another flight that will not work.)

clevine11
Explorer C

I had made reservation to go to a graduation at Duke.  Duke has cancelled graduation.  I am handicapped and paid for early bird.  I have cancelled my flight but believe that the virus has changed the situation and southwest should consider refunding the payment for an early boarding purchase that will not be used.

Carol Levine

Famdangocruiser
Explorer C

Blake,

I did exactly that ( waited for SW to cancel the flight), but I still have not gotten the refund.

(They changed my reservation, then said I was the one who cancelled.)

I don't mind playing by the rules, but I'm getting the impression they're not.