Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled flight- SW could not find a hotel in Nashville?

Jcerk
Explorer C

Hi

Due to "mechanical issues" in Pittsburgh my wifes plane was delayed thus missing her connection in Nashville on way home to Dallas. Southwest rep said they could not locate a hotel in Nashville so she was on her own. Is this correct? I got her a airport hotel in 5 minutes. Should I submit the hotel invoice? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Cancelled flight- SW could not find a hotel in Nashville?

bec102896
Aviator A

@Jcerk

Sorry to hear about you and your wife's recent experience.

from my experience southwest partners with hotels in cities for situations like this and unfortunately when the hotels are sold out by either southwest and other airlines filling them up or just sold out by the hotel itself then southwest can't give you a hotel so yeah there may be hotels in Nashville available but they may not be partners with Southwest therefore they can't put you in those other hotels.

the best advice I have is to contact customer relations when travel is complete to discuss possible reimbursement but there is no guarantee that they will cover the hotel you booked but they might be able to issue a voucher though for the flight issues if it was documented as mechanical. 

hope this helps
Blake

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

If the reason for the cancellation was within Southwest's control (and mechanical issues meet this criteria), Southwest should provide food and lodging. My experience is that most airlines at a given airport maintain a list of local hotels for just this type of event and even have agreed-upon rates with the hotels. I'm amazed that the Southwest rep told your wife that she was on her own because getting hotels for delayed customers is a fairly common occurence.

I would contact Southwest directly and ask them about submitting the hotel receipt:
https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html

I'm sorry to hear about the poor service that your wife received. This certainly isn't typical for Southwest.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I had missed a connection or weather cancellation in Nashville before - I forget the exact circumstances - they had coupons for a discount since it would have been on my nickel. I'm surprised they didn't offer at least that.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, in my experience once Southwest has failed to give you a hotel discount voucher at the airport (for whatever reason), it's nearly impossible to get reimbursement for a hotel you booked yourself after the fact, regardless of the circumstances.

😞

As suggested earlier, you may be given a small voucher toward future travel as a goodwill gesture. Please do let us know how it works out.