Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelliation policy & Coronal Virus

richardb
Explorer C

Just wondering if Southwest is considering temporary changes in the cancellation policy.  I've got a conference in Denver in May which usually brings in a lot of international visitors.  I'd like to make my flight reservations now, but realize there is a possibility the conference could be cancelled

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Cancelliation policy & Coronal Virus

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Well first of all, all Southwest Anytime and Business Select  tickets are fully refundable. If you have one of those, just cancel and you get your money back.

SW's Wanna Get Away fares (non refundable), when cancelled, result in you getting 100% of your ticket value

as a trvael fund that you can use for future travel (travel must be completed within one year of the date the  original tickey was bought). The is very unlike other airlines that charge you $200+ to cancel/change a flight (or a deep economy fare where you lose everything)  

I guess that some airlines are changing thier policies on non-refundable fares. SW might too,

but it's not as significant aa issue with SW as it might be for United, or American, or Delta for the reasons mentioned above.

NOTHAPPY99
Explorer B

This is exactly what you did to us when there is an outbreak now in San Antonio where the mayor declared an health emergency due to a lady being released in population who tested positive for the corona virus and visited a hotel near the airport and NorthStar mall, which is being closed today to be disinfected.  Southwest will not return our cash of $819.92.  We tried today to get our cash back and you gave us an voucher.  So disappointed in Southwest.  Janey #137310 says Southwest does not consider the virus to be an emergency.  

Will never ever book a flight thru Southwest again. I don't care how cheap it is besides there is no guarantee you will sit with your spouse anyway, which happened to us in January 12, 2020.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@NOTHAPPY99 wrote:

This is exactly what you did to us when there is an outbreak now in San Antonio where the mayor declared an health emergency due to a lady being released in population who tested positive for the corona virus and visited a hotel near the airport and NorthStar mall, which is being closed today to be disinfected.  Southwest will not return our cash of $819.92.  We tried today to get our cash back and you gave us an voucher.  So disappointed in Southwest.  Janey #137310 says Southwest does not consider the virus to be an emergency.  

Will never ever book a flight thru Southwest again. I don't care how cheap it is besides there is no guarantee you will sit with your spouse anyway, which happened to us in January 12, 2020.

Please read the two responses to your OTHER post on the same topic:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Travel-Policies/CASH-REFUND-CNX-FLIGHT-CORONA-VIRUS-IN-SAN-...

Summary of the above: NO AIRLINE is giving refunds of non refundable tickets at the moment. They are simply waving change fees - which SW doesn't have anyway.

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

<never mind>

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

@ffflyer wrote:

Why would you cancel a trip to Denver? Was Denver added to the Stat Department's list of Do Not Travel locations?

I believe OP is traveling to Denver for a conference; if the conference is canceled, the trip is no longer needed.

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

You're right, I read it wrong. Hopefully they won't cancel but good luck OP.